Zodiackillersite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Zodiackillersite

DISCUSSION ABOUT THE ZODIAC KILLER - ALWAYS FREE TO JOIN, NO FEES EVER!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fred Manalli

Go down 
+18
Quicktrader
Quagmire
Zamantha
AK Wilks
trainmaster
duckking2001
doranchak
Jem
Nachtsider
onewhoknows
Luke68
patinky
traveller1st
bentley
morf13
Theforeigner
tahoe27
Seagull
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
AuthorMessage
patinky
Captain
patinky

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm

morf13 wrote:
traveller1st wrote:
Manalli's punctuation compared to Zodiac's. Manalli's is on the right and below.

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Punctu11

Something I hadnt noticed that both Manalli & Zodiac bend their exclamation points.

Are those question marks or exclamation points?
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 pm

patinky wrote:
morf13 wrote:
traveller1st wrote:
Manalli's punctuation compared to Zodiac's. Manalli's is on the right and below.

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Punctu11

Something I hadnt noticed that both Manalli & Zodiac bend their exclamation points.

Are those question marks or exclamation points?

First 3 are questions marks, last two are semi-colons.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 5:28 am

Here's a nifty little habit I hadn't spotted before. It's shared by both Manalli and Zodiac but even on it's own merit it's something to be on the look out for with any POI's writing.

Zodiac and Manalli both alternate between 2 styles of lowercase e. One has a follow through and one doesn't and they both do it within words that have more than one and also words with just one so a word might end with a follow through e or a non follow through e.

Fred Manalli - Page 32 The-e_10
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Found this. Sonoma County Deeds. Donald L Emblen, remember that name from Manalli's letters.

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Deeds10

Did a quick search on found this right-up about his passing in 2009 by a former student.

Quote :
Donald L. Emblen 1918-2009
I was saddened to learn this morning that Don Emblen, my first creative writing teacher, died on Friday April 24.

When I was compelled by a lack of resources to attend Santa Rosa Junior College for the first two years of my college education, I made the best of it by hanging out at Don's office. In my whole career as a student, he was one of the two teachers who made the biggest impression on me.

We disagreed about almost everything, and I'm sure he found some of my opinions horrifying, but there was some overlap in our Weltanschauungen. He introduced me to one of his favorite poets, feeling sure that I would love him too. That was Robinson Jeffers, and he was certainly right about my reaction. He had carried Jeffers' Tamar, Roan Stallion, and Other Poems with him throughout his Navy service in World War II.

More than probably anyone I know, Don followed his curiosity wherever it led. He got interested in Peter Mark Roget, father of the Thesaurus, and wrote the first biography of him. He got interested in new Swedish poets, learned Swedish, and translated a bunch of them. When he became interested in Japanese poetry, he taught himself Japanese, translated some more, and taught in Japan.

He claimed to have written over 4,000 poems, but he published none that I know of in conspicuous places. Often he printed them himself in his cluttered-but-neat garage workshop.

When he "retired" (people like him never retire!) he began publishing a newsletter called The Reader's Rejoinder, consisting of letters written to him by his many friends about whatever they were reading. He completed exactly 250 issues, the last being issued posthumously and arriving here last week.

He was in the midst of rereading The Brothers Karamazov (Volkhonsky trans.) when death overtook him at age 90. His wife, Linda, was reading the Constance Garnett trans. at the same time, and when one of them got ahead of the other, he or she had some trouble not giving away what happened next in the story.

He will be missed by a great many people.

Another one from here: http://sonic.net/~art/DLE%20memoriam/DLE%20project/Memorial%20Sheaf.html

Quote :
Don was an inspiration. He showed me by his example that writing, reading and talking about poetry were life-enhancing activities. I don't think that there was a time when we visited and didn't talk about poetry. I remember him as a poet of friendship and friends, and as a local poet who wrote poetry to make human connections and preserve community; he was a real community-builder. One of the main literary battles I fought was for him to be Sonoma County's first poet laureate. ("I thought Don was "the quintessential Sonoma County poet.) His poems about this place are etched in my memory, as are his poems about aging and old age. I dedicated one of my poetry chapbooks to him, and he appreciated that. He began the book on the last page, at the back and proceeded to read backward, going from end to beginning, and so it was only when he finished the book that he discovered that I had dedicated the book to him. He did not always do things in predictable ways. He even did some things backward. In fact, as a printer with a letterpress it helped greatly that he could see and read words backward. Certainly, he always got to where he wanted to go, and he always finished what he started. Now that he's gone, he seems as real and as much of a presence as he always was, and I can still hear the sounds of his printing presses in his shop on California Avenue.

Quote :
Don wrote a wonderful poem in his last year that was heartening to come upon in the days after his death. It's one of his back yard poems. Was there ever a better back yard poet? On California Avenue as well as in the Navy

Quote :
OUR ONGOING AUDIENCE

My perception of Don pretty much matches those of friends who've testified here: frightened and put off at the beginning, soon overtaken by a growing love. Don's many passions (especially for best words in best order), and irrepressible energy, taught us. He took my husband's [Bob Duxbury] play scripts and my own novels and stories with great seriousness, eager to read and respond to new work; the day before he died he asked to read Bob's newest play. When I gave him new books of my own, or books I thought he and other Rejoinder readers might enjoy, he mowed through them all with zeal, and wrote back thoughtful responses and critiques. We always felt - as it's clear Don made most all his friends feel - as though we had a casual yet exclusive, ongoing audience with a kind of literary oracle. I remember giving him Joan Didion's 1975 commencement address to UC Riverside students, in which she urged them to go out and live passionately in the world: "Not just to endure it, not just to suffer it, not just to pass through it, but to live in it. To look at it. To try to get the picture. . . . To make your own work and take pride in it. To seize the moment. . . ." Didion cited, as one reason, the notorious Andrew Marvell quote, "the grave's a fine and private place / But none, I think, do there embrace." Don responded at once, with something close to vehemence, that that line in particular had always held special power for him. And of course, he'd lived as Didion had urged. And though his life was rich and long, I can't not wish he hadn't left us yet. I can still easily hear his voice on our answering machine - a question about language, or a title or phrase or name. Or the sack of plums or book deposited on our front porch, bound with a cheerful note in his small, neat writing. We'll never stop hearing and seeing him in our hearts. We miss him badly.

affraid

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Emblen10
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Here is that document referred to in your post-

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Fredricmanalli004
Back to top Go down
http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 pm

If you are saying that Emblen may have been involved with Manalli as a Z team,and he looked like the z sketch,he would have been over 50 years old during the z murders.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks Seagull.

I'm not sure if this is him younger but he wrote the narrative for this video. Might be him?

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Librar10
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:41 pm

morf13 wrote:
If you are saying that Emblen may have been involved with Manalli as a Z team,and he looked like the z sketch,he would have been over 50 years old during the z murders.

I'm not saying that yet but for the record he would have been 47 and he was pro-ported to look younger than he was. What I'm saying is that Manalli was in partnership with this guy. A guy who was by all accounts some kind of genius who could turn his hand to anything from learning Japanese, to fence building, mathematics, printing, was in the Navy (as what I wonder), who could read ,and was implied, write backwards and probably more. He also lived to pass on knowledge and may have had a connection to Riverside prior to 1975?

With all this knowledge and ability and a print shop it seems like a lot of zync all directly associated to Manalli.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Here's his obit from the local newspaper. If he had anything to do with any crime, he sure fooled a hell of a lot of people as he was much beloved!

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Emblenobit

Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:52 pm

traveller1st wrote:
morf13 wrote:

I'm not saying that yet but for the record he would have been 47 and he was pro-ported to look younger than he was. What I'm saying is that Manalli was in partnership with this guy. A guy who was by all accounts some kind of genius who could turn his hand to anything from learning Japanese, to fence building, mathematics, printing, was in the Navy (as what I wonder), who could read ,and was implied, write backwards and probably more. He also lived to pass on knowledge and may have had a connection to Riverside prior to 1975?

With all this knowledge and ability and a print shop it seems like a lot of zync all directly associated to Manalli.

He would have been 51 during Stine attack. The Riverside connection is certainly interesting.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 8:21 pm

morf13 wrote:

He would have been 51 during Stine attack. The Riverside connection is certainly interesting.

Exactly, which is why he was shuffling, hunched over down Jackson - he was having to carry Manalli in his coat.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Here's the page I got the first article from.

Look at what one of Don's former pupils was reading.

http://lesterhhunt.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/lord-high-everything-else.html
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 pm

And he even links the Groucho version! I told Morf about Lester Hunt sometime ago and he contacted him. Unfortuately Lester did not remember Manalli.
Back to top Go down
Theforeigner
Chief
Theforeigner

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Seagull wrote:
Here is that document referred to in your post-

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Fredricmanalli004

Here is som info of interest on Fred Manalli his wife Suzanne J Carlson and Donald L Emblen:

Fred Manalli married Suzanne J Carlson in 1958, probably in Rockford, Illinois

FM and SM moved to California probably in 1959 or 1960 probably to San Francisco and later Santa Rosa.

There are divorce records of FM and SM in Sonoma in 1970 and San Francisco City in 1973

Donald L Emblen divorce his wife Betty J Mitchell in May 1971 in Sonoma

Then Donald L Emblen marry Fred Manalli's x-wife Susanne J Carlson, Aug 25, 1985, the marrige record is from Minnesota.

Minnesota, Marriage Collection, 1958-2001
about Donald L Emblen
Name: Donald L Emblen
Birth Date: abt 1919
Spouse: Suzanne J Carlson
Spouse Birth Date: abt 1934
Spouse Age: 51
Marriage Date: 20 Aug 1985
Filing Location (County): Cass
State: Minnesota

U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 (Beta)
about Suzanne J Manalli
Name: Suzanne J Manalli
Residence Year: 1959
Residence Place: Rockford, Illinois
Spouse: Fredk S Manalli

Publication Title: Rockford, Illinois, City Directory, 1959

California Divorce Index, 1966-1984
about Frederic S Manalli
Name: Frederic S Manalli
Spouse Name: Suzanne J Carlson
Date: Aug 1970
They married 1958

about Fredric S Manalli
Name: Fredric S Manalli
Spouse Name: Suzanne J Carlson
Date: Dec 1973

U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 1
about Suzanne J Carlson
Name: Suzanne J Carlson
Birth Date: 6 Mar 1934
Address: 160 California Ave, Santa Rosa, CA, 95405-4666 (1980)

about Suzanne Emblen
Name: Suzanne Emblen
Address: 160 California Ave, Santa Rosa, CA, 95405-4666 (1988)

about Donald L Emblen
Birth Date: 5 Oct 1918
Address: 160 California Ave, Santa Rosa, CA, 95405-4666 (1988)

U.S. Phone and Address Directories, 1993-2002
about Donald L Emblen
Address: 160 California Ave
City: Santa Rosa
State: California
Zip Code: 95405-4666
Phone Number: 707-544-4532
Residence Years: 1993 1994 1995

about Donald L Emblen
Spouse Name: Betty J Mitchell
Date: May 1971

Social Security Death Index
about Don Lewis Emblen
Name: Don Lewis Emblen
Last Residence: 95405 Santa Rosa, Sonoma, California, United States of America
Born: 5 Oct 1918
Died: 24 Apr 2009
State (Year) SSN issued: California (Before 1951)

Back to top Go down
Theforeigner
Chief
Theforeigner

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm

This is the CV of Lester H Hunt:

http://philosophy.wisc.edu/hunt/VITA08.htm

CURRICULUM VITAE

LESTER H. HUNT

Address:

Department of Philosophy ����������������������� �����������

University of Wisconsin-Madison�������� �����������������������

Madison, WI� 53706������������ ����������������������� �����������

����������������������� ����������������������� ����������������������� ����������������������� �����������

Phones:

Office:� (608) 263-5956

Home:��� (608) 835-3525

Internet:

lhhunt@facstaff.wisc.edu

http://philosophy.wisc.edu/hunt/default.htm

Educational Record

B.A. - (Honors) University of California, Santa Barbara, 1968

M.A. - University of California, Santa Barbara, 1973

Ph.D.- University of California, Santa Barbara, 1976

PUBLICATIONS

Books:

1.����������� Nietzsche and the Origin of Virtue, New York and London:� Routledge, 1991.� 200 pp. +xxiii.�

2.����������� Character and Culture.� Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield, 1997.� pp. pp. 302 + xiii.��

Articles:

�1.����������� "Generosity," American Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 12 no. 3, July 1975, pp. 235-244.

�2.����������� "Character and Thought," American Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 15 no. 3, July 1978, pp. 177-186.

�3.����������� "Punishment, Revenge, and the Minimal Functions of the State," in Understanding Human Emotion, Vol. I of Bowling Green Studies in Applied Philosophy, 1979, pp. 79-88.

�4.����������� "Courage and Principle," Canadian Journal of Philosophy, vol. 10 no. 2, June 1980, pp. 281-293.

�5.������� "Some Advantages of Social Control:� An Individualist Defense," Public Choice, vol. 36 no. 2, 1981, (Public Choice is a journal of economics), pp. 3-16.

�6.������� "The Scarlet Letter:� Hawthorne's Theory of Moral Sentiments," in Philosophy and Literature, vol. 8 no. 1, April 1984, pp. 75-88.

�7.������� "The Politics of Envy," Social Philosophy and Policy Occasional Papers Series, No. 2, 1983, pp. 1-16.

�8.������� "On Improving Mankind by Political Means," Reason Papers, no. 10, Spring 1985, pp. 61-75.

�9.����������� "Politics and Anti-Politics:� Nietzsche's View of the State," History of Philosophy Quarterly, vol. 2 no. 2, October 1985, pp. 453-468.

10.����������� "Generosity and the Diversity of the Virtues," in The Virtues, ed by Robert������������ Kruschwitz and Robert Roberts, (Belmont:� Wadsworth, 1987), pp. 216-228. (This article includes revised portions of article #1, above.)

11.������ "The Eternal Recurrence and Nietzsche's Conception of Virtue," in������������������������ International Studies in Philosophy, vol. 25 no. 2, pp. 3-11.

12.������ "An Argument Against a Legal Duty to Rescue," in the Journal of Social���������������� Philosophy,� vol. 25 no. 1, Spring 1995, pp. 15-37.

13������� "Why Democracy is an Enemy of Virtue" International Studies in Philosophy, vol. 30 no. 3,1998, pp. 13-21.

14.����������� �Flourishing Egoism,� in Social Philosophy and Policy, vol 16 no. 1 (Winter 1999), pp. 72-95.�

15.������ "The Liberal Basis of the Right to Bear Arms," written with Todd C. Hughes and originally published in Public Affairs Quarterly, vol. 14 no. 1, January 2000, pp. 1-25.

16.����������� �Epilogue: Is There an Issue Here?�� Contribution to a symposium in Criminal Justice Ethics, vol. 20 no. 1 (Winter-Spring 2001), pp. 40-45.

17.����������� �Philosopher-Novelist or Novelist-Philosopher,� in Is Virtue Only a Means to Happiness?� An Analysis of Virtue and Happiness in Ayn Rand�s Writings, number 4 in the monograph series Objectivist Studies, pp. 53-61.� Published by The Objectivist Center of Poughkeepsie, New York.

18.������ �Is Bad Conduct Always Wrong?� The Ethics of Environmental Effects,� is the lead essay in Tibor R. Machan, ed., The Commons -- Its Tragedy and Other Follies (Stanford, California: The Hoover Institution Press, 2001), pp. 1-25.

19.����������� �Epilogue: What Good are Drugs Anyway?��� Contribution to a symposium in Criminal Justice Ethics, vol. 22 no. 1 (Winter-Spring 2003), pp. 40-45.

20.������ �Billy Budd: Melville�s Dilemma,� Philosophy and Literature, vol. 26 no. 2 (October 2002), pp. 273-295.

21.����������� �Sentiment and Sympathy,� Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Volume 62 Number 4 (Fall 2004).

22.������ �The Paradox of the Unknown Lover: A Reading of Letter from an Unknown Woman,� Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Volume 64 Number 1 Winter 2006).� This special issue of JAAC was also published as a paperback book by Blackwell Publishing, 2006.

23. "Thus Spake Howard Roark: Nietzschean Ideas in the Fountainhead," in Philosophy and Literature, vol. 30 no. 1 (April 2006), pp. 79-101.

24. "Martha Nussbaum on the Emotions," Ethics, vol. 116 No. 3 (April 2006), pp. 552-577.� A review-essay.

Chapter in Book

1. "Motion Pictures as a Philosophical Resource," in Philosophy of Film, ed. by Noel Carroll and Jinhee Choi.� Malden, Massachusetts:� Blackwell Publishing, 2006), pp. 397-405.�

Reviews:

1.����������� Nietzsche:� Imagery and Thought, edited by Malcolm Pasley, in Philosophy and Literature, vol. 3 no. 1, Spring 1979, pp. 126-127.

2.����������� Personal Destinies, by David L. Norton, in Metaphilosophy, vol. 11 nos. 3 & 4, July/October 1980, pp. 285-287.

3.����������� Courage, by Douglas Walton, in Ethics, vol. 9 no. 1, October 1987, pp. 172-173.

4.����������� Quandaries and Virtues, by Edmund L. Pincoffs, in The Philosophical Review, vol. 98 no. 2. April 1989, pp. 249-51.

5.����������� Human Goodness:� Generosity and Courage, by Elizabeth Pybus, in Ethics, vol. 103 no 3, April 1993, p. 607.

6.����������� Michael Tanner,� Nietzsche, Oxford University Press.� Ethics, vol 4 no. 4, July 1997, pp 772-737.�����������

7. Lawrence Lampert, Leo Strauss and Nietzsche, in Ethics, vol. 108 no. 2, January 1998, pp. 451-52.

8.�������� Roger Crisp, editor, How Should One Live?� Essays on the Virtues, in Ethics, April 1999.

9.����������� Frederick Appel, Nietzsche contra Democracy, inEthics.� Vol. 111 No. 1, October 2000, pp. 156-57.�

10.������ Tara Smith, Viable Values: A Study of the Root and Reward of Morality, in Journal of Ayn Rand Studies, vol. 2 no. 1, Fall 2000, pp. 105-15.� Title of review: �Flourishing Objectivism.�

11. Alan Gewirth, Self-Fulfillment., in Philosophical Review vol. 109 no. 4 (October 2000), pp. 589-592.

12.������ �What Art Does,� the lead article in a symposium on on What Art Is by Louis Torres and Michelle Kamhi.� In The Journal of Ayn Rand Studies, vol. 2 no. 2 (Spring 2001), pp. 253-263.

13. ����������� Uneasy Virtue, by Julia Driver.� Ethics, vol. 114 no. 1 (Oct. 2003), pp. 167-170.

Discussion Notes:

1.����������� "Comments on `Nietzsche's Oblique Promotion of Virtue,' by Daniel Conway," in International Studies in Philosophy, vol. 22 no. 2, pp. 31-34.

2.����������� "Comments on Robert Welshon's `Nietzsche's Peculiar Virtues and the Health of the Soul," International Studies in Philosophy, vol. 24 no. 2, pp. 91-93

3. �Philosopher-Novelist or Novelist-Philosopher,� a comment on Neera Badhwar�s �Is Virtue Only a Means to Happiness?� In Is Virtue Only a Means to Happiness?� An Analysis of Virtue and Happiness in Ayn Rand�s Writings, number 4 in the monograph series Objectivist Studies, pp. 53-61.

Encyclopedia Articles:

1.����������� "Generosity," a 1,000 word article, plus annotated bibliography, for the Encyclopedia of Ethics, edited by Lawrence Becker (Garland Publishing: 1990).� Also in the second edition of this encyclopedia (New York: Routledge, 2001).�

2.����������� "Envy," a 1,000 word article, plus annotated bibliography, for the Encyclopedia of Ethics, edited by Lawrence Becker (Garland Publishing:� 1990).� Also in second edition (New York: Routledge, 2001).�

3.����������� "Ethics," for Worldbook Encyclopedia (1993).� Length:� 2,250 words.�

4.����������� "Envy," in the Blackwell Encyclopedic Dictionary of Business Ethics, edited by Patricia Werhane and Edward Freeman (Blackwell: 1997).� Length: 1,000 words.

Articles Reprinted:

1.�������� "Some Advantages of Social Control:� An Individualist Defense," in The Libertarian Reader, edited by Tibor R. Machan, (New York:� Rowman and Littlefield, 1981).� (Article #5, above.)

2.����������� "Improving Human Beings by Political Means," in The Main Debate:� Capitalism vs. Communism, ed. by Tibor R. Machan, (New York:� Random House, 1986).� (Article #8, above.)

3.����������� "Improving Human Beings by Political Means," in Ethics in Practice, ed. By Hugh LaFollette (Oxford: Blackwell�s, 2003).

4. "The Liberal Basis of the Right to Bear Arms," in Ethics in Practice, ed. By Hugh LaFollette (Oxford: Blackwell�s, 2003).

FORTHCOMING

Edited Books

Grade Inflation and Academic Standards, a book of essays, forthcoming from State University of New York Press.

Philosophy in the Twilight Zone, a book of essays co-edited with No�l Carroll, forthcoming from Blackwell Publishing.

Chapters in Books

1. �Why the State Needs a Justification,� Anarchism/Minarchism edited by Roderick Long and Tibor Machan, Ashgate 2008.

2. �Grading Teachers,� in Grade Inflation and Academic Standards (see �edited books,� above).

3. �Rod Serling, Creator of the Twilight Zone,� in Philosophy in the Twilight Zone (see �edited books,� above).

Encyclopedia Article

1.�������� �Jos� Ortega y Gasset,� article in the Cato Institutute�s forthcoming Encyclopedia of Libertarianism, ed. by Ronald Hamowy.� Article co-authored with Dar�o Fernandez

Morera.

Papers Presented Away from the University of Wisconsin (Unpublished Papers Only):

1.����������� "Comments on 'The Rational Basis of Social Planning in Aristotle'," by Fred Miller, delivered at the conference on Reason, Values and Political Principle, at Pomona College 1977.

2.����������� "Comments on 'Socrates' Use of Leibniz' Law', by Michael Rohr," delivered at the fall 1978 meeting of the New Jersey Regional Philosophical Association.

3.����������� Remarks on Annette Baier's 'Hume on Nature, Culture, and Character'," delivered at the April 1981 meeting of the Washington Philosophy Club.

4.�������� "Adam Smith's Account of the Cardinal Virtues," presented at the conference on the Theory of the Moral Sentiments, Huntington Library, San Marino, CA, September 1982.

5.����������� "Friendly Relations and the Basis of Character," delivered at the Eastern Division Meetings of the A.P.A., December 1987.

6.����������� "Comments on 'Nietzsche's Oblique Promotion of Virtue,' by Daniel Conway," delivered at the Eastern Division Meetings of the A.P.A., December 1987.

7.�������� "The Ethics of Environmental Effects," delivered at the conference on Ethics, Politics, and Human Nature, Bowling Green State University, October, 1989.

8.�������� "Gifts," presented at a Bowling Green State University Philosophy Department Colloquium, January 1990.

9.�������� "The Social Foundations of Character," Bowling Green State University, May 1990.

10.����������� "Character and the Survival of Liberalism," at the conference on Individualism and Civilization, sponsored by the Institute for Objectivist Studies, Madison Wisconsin, July 1995.

11.������ �Why Democracy is an Enemy of Virtue,� at the Pacific Division Meetings of the American Philosophical Association, Seattle Washington, April 4, 1996.

12.����������� "Egoism and Virtue," at the Easter Division Meetings of the American ���� ����������� Philosophical Association, Atlanta Georgia, December 29.� Tara Smith commenting.

13.����������� �Flourishing Egoism,� at the Social Philosophy and Policy conference on human flourishing, La Jolla California, September 12 and 13, 1997.

14.����������� �Comments on �A Contextual Theory of Character Traits� by Cynthia Upton,� Central Division meetings (Minneapolis) of the American Philosophical Association, May 3-5, 2001.

15.����������� �Literature as Argument: A Simple Case,� at the American Society for Aesthetics annual meetings, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 24-27, 2001.

16.����������� "Analogical Reasoning in the Law," University of Texas - Austin departmental colloquium.� April 30, 2004.

17,����������� Contribution to an �Author Meets Critics� panel on Tara Smith�s Ayn Rand�s Normative Ethics (Cambridge University Press, 2006), American Philosophical Association Meetings, Washington D. C., Dec. 29, 2006.

Sessions Chaired:

"Kant, Supererogation, and Sublimity," paper by Richard McCarty,

J. Michael Young commenting, at the Central Division Meetings of the American Philosophical Association, May 1987.

"Justice and Friendship," paper by Annette Baier, at the

Conference on the Personal Turn in Ethics, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, May 1987.

Session of the Conference on Character and Morality, Radcliffe

College, April 1988 (Conference organizers:� Amelie O. Rorty and Owen Flannagan).

"Recasting Business Ethics," by Stephen R. C. Hicks, Jan Narveson commenting, at annual meeting of the Ayn Rand Society at the Eastern Division Meetings of the American Philosophical Association, December 1995.

�What�s Wrong with Rights?: A Response to Some Feminist Criticisms,� by Samantha Brennan, Tara Smith commenting.� The Central Division Meetings of the American Philosophical Association, April 26, 1997.

�Gun Control: Pro and Con,� a panel of four papers at the Eastern APA, December, 2001.� Speakers: Hugh LaFollette, Lance Stell, Samuel Wheeler, Cynthia Stark.

�Drug Legalization: Pro and Con,� a panel of four papers at the Eastern APA, December 29, 2002.� Speakers: Douglas Husak, George Sher, Peter de Marneffe, Dan Shapiro.

Conferences Directed:

Discussion leader for �Liberty and Responsibility in the Works of Henry David Thoreau,� a Liberty Fund Colloquium held at Concord, Massachusetts, June 22-25, 2000.�

Director and discussion leader for a �Liberty and Responsibility in Billy Budd,� a Liberty Fund Colloquium held at Newport, Rhode Island, May 8-11, 2001.

AWARDS AND HONORS

Grant from the Fund for the Improvement for Post-Secondary

Education (Department of Health, Education, and Welfare) for research into the teaching of logic and philosophical method, Spring 1978.

Fellow of the Center for Study of Public Choice, Virginia

Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, Summer 1979.

Fellow of The Reason Foundation Summer Research Seminars, Santa

Barbara, CA, Summer 1980.

Fellow of the Center for Study of Public Choice, Virginia

Polytechnic Institute and State University, Summer 1981.

Fellow of the Institute for Humane Studies Summer Research

Seminar, Menlo Park, CA, Summer 1982.

Graduate School Summer Research Appointment, University of

Minnesota, Summer 1983.

Research Fellow of the Earhart Foundation, Ann Arbor, MI, Summer

Research Fellow of the Institute for Humane Studies, Menlo Park,

CA, Summer 1985.

Graduate School Summer Research Grant, University of Wisconsin,

Summer 1986.

Summer 1988.

Fellow of the Social Philosophy and Policy Center, Bowling Green

State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, August 1989 to June 1990.

for Summer 1992.

University of Wisconsin Faculty Development Grant, for the Fall

Semester of 1993-94.

University of Wisconsin Sabbatical Leave, Spring 1999.

Vilas Fellowship, Summer 2000 and Summer 2001.

COURSES, SEMINARS AND TUTORIALS TAUGHT

Courses and Seminars

Courses:

Introduction to Philosophy, Ethics (including courses on Ethical Theory, History of Ethics, Metaethics, Contemporary Moral Issues, and Business Ethics), Political Philosophy, Nietzsche, Philosophy of the Social Sciences, Philosophy and Literature, Existentialism, Elementary Logic, History of Ideas:� The Renaissance, Philosophy of the Mind: The Emotions, Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Economics, Liberalism and Its Critics, Philosophy and Film.

Seminars:

Morals by Agreement; Nietzsche; Aristotle's Ethics; Virtue, Vice, and Character; Liberalism and Its Critics; Rights Moral and Legal;� Virtue and Self-Interest, Philosophy and Literature, Philosophy and Film.

ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS

Visiting Scholar:� Social Philosophy and Policy Center, Bowling Green State University,

Bowling Green, OH� 1989-90.

Associate Professor:� University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1988-� .

Assistant Professor:� University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1984-88.

Assistant Professor:� University of Minnesota, Morris, 1981-84.

A.W. Mellon Scholar:� The Johns Hopkins University, 1979-81.

Assistant Professor:� Trenton State College, 1978-79.

Visiting Assistant Professor:� University of Pittsburgh, Spring 1978.

Visiting Assistant Professor:� Carnegie-Mellon University, 1977-78.

Visiting Assistant Professor:� Le Moyne College, Spring 1977.

SERVICE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN

Non Departmental Committees:

Search Committee for the Chair in Business Ethics, University of Wisconsin School of

Business (1992).

Western European Area Studies Steering Committee (1985-89).

Faculty Senate (1986-89, 1992-3, 1995-).

Equity and Diversity Resources Advisory Committee (1998- , Chair 1999-).

Committee on Committees (2000- ).

Co-Chair, Campus Climate Initiative Committee (2001).

Various search committees.�

Committee on Faculty Rights and Responsibilities (2005- ).

Departmental Committees:

Graduate Admissions Committee (2003-7 ).

David Weberman Mentor and Tenure Review Committees (1992-Cool.

Grievance Committee (1992-3).

Colloquium Committee (1992-3).

Steven Nadler Tenure Review Committee (1991-92).

Graduate Fellowships and Assistantships for Continuing Students (1990-91), Chair.

Review Committee for LaVerne Shelton (1990-91).

Faculty Advising Service, U.W. Madison (1988-89).

Lectures and Colloquia Committee, U.W. Madison (1987-89).

Faculty and Graduate Student Conference Committee (1986).

T.A. Evaluation Committee, U.W. Madison Philosophy Department (1985-87).

Foreign Language Committee, U.W. Madison Philosophy Department (1985-).

Fellowships Committee, U.W. Madison Philosophy Department (1985-86).

OTHER SERVICE:

Member, APA Committee on Law and Philosophy (2000-2004).

Back to top Go down
Theforeigner
Chief
Theforeigner

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:12 pm

More on Lester H Hunt:

http://philosophy.wisc.edu/hunt/

about Lester H Hunt
Name: Lester H Hunt
Birth Date: 17 Oct 1946
Phone Number: 835-3525
[835-0360]
Address: 1330 Gilson St, Madison, WI, 53715-2122
[404 Jefferson St, Oregon, WI, 53575-1321 (1993)]
[341 W Evers Ave, Bowling Green, OH, 43402-1716 (1988)]

California Birth Index, 1905-1995
about Lester Henry Hunt
Name: Lester Henry Hunt
Birth Date: 17 Oct 1946
Mother's Maiden Name: Mitchell
Birth County: Los Angeles

Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks TF!! I did know that Don Emblem had been married three times. And I also knew that he and Manalli's ex-wife had been married although I did not know where and when they married. I have her death certificate and Emblem is listed as her husband. She died of breast cancer in 1988 in Santa Rosa. She also taught at Santa Rosa Junior College, the death certificate says she taught for 20 years. She went by the name Sue Carlson after her divorce from Manalli and did not use the Emblen last name even after her marriage to Don.

There is a scholarship in her name at SRJC for ESL (English as a Second Language) students.

http://online.santarosa.edu/presentation/page/?21342

Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Some interesting ZYNC regarding WWII submariner badges. The cross hair closest matches the "sonor operator" badges.

Fred Manalli - Page 32 Submar10
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:23 am

I wonder if Emblen's association with Manalli was one of the driving factors as well over the possible SRHM connection being hushed or at least not publicly pursued. He seemed to be a pretty impressive guy and by all accounts a fascinating and seminal tutor to a lot of people and for the college as whole and a great believer in community.

I can't imagine it sitting too well with him if Manalli had been up to something and only discovering this possibility after Manalli's passing. I don't think that Don was involved in any kind of weird crime partnership with him but rather was possibly duped by him and mistook Manalli's interest in the things he knew as a welcome desire to learn.

What interests me about this relationship is that possible angle. The opportunity to accrue skills and ideas from someone and then employ them into what was Zodiac. By all accounts Manalli strikes me, through his writing, as being that kind of sycophantic/sociopathic from the way he writes to Dan Curley. I can only imagine that he must have felt like a sponge that had hit paydirt with Don Emblen.

There's that ad though. "Zodiac, your partner is in deep real estate" and they actually were in real estate as partners. Curiouser & curiouser.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 am

Seems like lwe may never get the answers we need since hardly anybody is fessing up to knowing Manalli.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am

Trav, I'm not so sure that Emblen and Fred Manalli were actually real estate partners. That grant deed above is a little strange to me and seems like it's really saying that Fred grants his permission for Suzanne and Emblen to be real estate partners. The Manalli's filed for divorce twice, once in Sonoma County Aug. 1970, and again in San Francisco County in Dec. 1973. The grant deed is dated July 1973, maybe it was discovered at that time that the Manalli's were not legally divorced hence the second filing for a divorce Dec. 1973?????

Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge of real estate and divorce laws could weigh in, AK might understand the document a little better.

Back to top Go down
AK Wilks
Chief
AK Wilks

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:28 am

Sloppy wording, but it looks like Manalli was a joint owner with this other guy but then transferred his share to his (ex)wife.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 am

AK Wilks wrote:
Sloppy wording, but it looks like Manalli was a joint owner with this other guy but then transferred his share to his (ex)wife.

Pretty chummy considering Don was moving in on Fred's wife.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 am

AK I went to the Sonoma County Recorders office and personally went through the records for the Manalli's and Emblen. This was the only real estate document that had Fred Manalli's name on it, I could not find evidence that Emblen and Manalli had purchased something together previously.

Here is the search page for the records-

http://www.sonoma-county.org/recorder/searching.asp
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 4:44 pm

What years was Manalli at University in Illinois studying under Dan Curley?

NVR mind was re-reading the thread and found it. Graduated in 57.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fred Manalli
Page 32 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zodiackillersite :: Zodiac Suspects & POI's General Discussion :: All other Zodiac Suspects & POI's-
Jump to: