Zodiackillersite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Zodiackillersite

DISCUSSION ABOUT THE ZODIAC KILLER - ALWAYS FREE TO JOIN, NO FEES EVER!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fred Manalli

Go down 
+18
Quicktrader
Quagmire
Zamantha
AK Wilks
trainmaster
duckking2001
doranchak
Jem
Nachtsider
onewhoknows
Luke68
patinky
traveller1st
bentley
morf13
Theforeigner
tahoe27
Seagull
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

Fred Manalli - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:39 pm

No doubt about the Sam Maggio! Manalli used his wife's name in the Paradise story. I would not be the least bit surprised if Annie and Phil were real people, too. There was an Anna Manalli at ancestry.com and I believe she was born in 1913, Manalli's father was born in 1910, the right ages to be cousins.

Okay Morf find Sam Maggio!
Back to top Go down
http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Seagull wrote:
No doubt about the Sam Maggio! Manalli used his wife's name in the Paradise story. I would not be the least bit surprised if Annie and Phil were real people, too. There was an Anna Manalli at ancestry.com and I believe she was born in 1913, Manalli's father was born in 1910, the right ages to be cousins.

Okay Morf find Sam Maggio!

LOL. Okay, I found him. Now what? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 pm

LOL, good job! If he and Manalli were friends in school he might be able to give us some insight. I'm not sure when that Paradise story was written but perhaps Sam and Fred were still friends when it was published in 1969. We seem to be having problems finding out much about him from people who knew him, particularly around the time of any murders.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Rolling Eyes Detecting at its finest.
Back to top Go down
Dice
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:07 am

thebigZ wrote:
Here's another description...

"A friend saw her climb into a 1950-52 faded brown Chevy pickup with a wooden, homemade camper in back. The friend later told police the driver was white, 20-30 years old, with light brown hair in an afro style."

Would a wooden, homemade camper essentially be a windowless, wooden box?
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:21 am

Found this misc. Newspaper article about Manalli giving a lecture-
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1024&dat=19700507&id=JN0kAAAAIBAJ&sjid=WxAGAAAAIBAJ&pg=2875,344343

They spelled his name wrong,spelled it MANALI. The paper is the Geyersville Press. Where is Geyersville in relation to the bay area?
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 am

Geyserville is in Sonoma County on Hwy 101 about 20 miles north of Santa Rosa.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 am

Seagull wrote:

Okay thanks. By the way, I think I found the right 'Sam' that knew Manalli,and I sent him a message. Hope he responds. Any questions I should ask?
Back to top Go down
Theforeigner
Chief
Theforeigner

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 pm

traveller1st wrote:
I see there is a SAM MAGGIO listed in the 53, 54 year books for RWHS.

Wonder if he was anything to so with the name S.A. Maggio or S.A.M in the "strategic Withdrawal" short story.

I have NO evidence whatsoever that this man, Sam Anthony Maggio, is indentical with the " S.A. Maggio or S.A.M in the "strategic Withdrawal" short story."

But due to that he was located in Riverside, CA, I thought I would post the info.
He died 52 years old.
I have not been able to find any info on how he died:

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Sam Anthony Maggio
Name: Sam Anthony Maggio
Social Security #: 556349712
Sex: Male
Birth Date: 4 Aug 1932
Birthplace: California
Death Date: 10 Sep 1984
Death Place: Riverside
Mother's Maiden Name: Marguglio

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006
about Samuel Anthony Maggio
Name: Samuel Anthony Maggio
Service Info.: SK2 US NAVY KOREA
Birth Date: 4 Aug 1932
Death Date: 10 Sep 1984
Service Start Date: 13 Mar 1951
Interment Date: 13 Sep 1984
Cemetery: Riverside National Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 22495 Van Buren Boulevard Riverside, CA 92518
Buried At: Section 12a Site 847

Was Fred Manalli in Korea?
Back to top Go down
Theforeigner
Chief
Theforeigner

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:44 pm

morf13 wrote:
Seagull wrote:

Okay thanks. By the way, I think I found the right 'Sam' that knew Manalli,and I sent him a message. Hope he responds. Any questions I should ask?

Morf, since "your" Sam Maggio apparently is alive, could you share which Sam Maggio that is?
PM?
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Theforeigner wrote:
morf13 wrote:
Seagull wrote:

Morf, since "your" Sam Maggio apparently is alive, could you share which Sam Maggio that is?
PM?

Sure,check your PM
Back to top Go down
trainmaster
Chief
trainmaster

PostSubject: THE ACCIDENT SCENE   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 pm

"According to Manalli's death certificate the accident was on Hwy 12, 2,745 feet East of Merced Ave. "

I finally took some Google snapshots looking East and West, the east shots taking into account the 2,745 feet. I am surprised that area of road is still two lane highway and not freeway. It appears today much the same as it did that fateful night in 1976.

First the photo looking west, taken from approximately 2,745 feet from Merced Avenue on Highway 12. The Red "A" indicates Merced crossing Highway 12.

Fred Manalli - Page 26 Highwa12

Another try at the same scene looking TOWARDS Northeast going to Santa Rosa

Fred Manalli - Page 26 Accide11

SUCCESS - finally. First photo shows the scene looking TOWARDS Sebastopol and the second photo shows the scene going TOWARDS Santa Rosa. I don't know what way Manalli was going, but the surrounding area has not fallen to deveopment, yet, and HIghway 12 is still a 2-Lane road.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:02 pm

The death certificate states:

Victim was driving Eastbound on Highway, drifted into Westbound lane & collided headon with another vehicle

So he was headed towards Santa Rosa from Sebastopol. Graysmith has him going across a center divide (pgs. 174-176 ZU) which I do not believe was the case. The way the death certificate is worded it sounds like Manalli went directly into the westbound lane. The highway does have a center divide closer to Santa Rosa.
Back to top Go down
trainmaster
Chief
trainmaster

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:20 pm

So, it was the SECOND photo which has the correct direction. What is unknown is if the center lane had the solid yellow stripe on 1976 or if it was broken, allowing cars to pass. It is also possible the highway could have been enlarged to allow for bigger curbs.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Seagull wrote:
I think "hitch" refers to his time in the Army that was required. He signed on as a reserve but was called to active duty after he completed his BA degree. Because he was a reservist he was required to serve two years active duty and four years of reserve duty. If he had "hitched up" with the Army for two more years active duty he would have fullfillied his requirement for serving his country. It's probably a idiom that only American's use when referring to their service time.

It just popped into my head what the British equivalent of that is - "stomach another stint"
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 9:52 am

The FRED thread has been quiet the last few days. I am on a little mini Z vacation,so i havent been on as much. Plus,its hard to keep digging up stuff on him. I am awaiting one of his stories, and I know seagull was trying to get something. Hope we find some more.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 12:35 pm

A rest is good. I've been doing the same. Seems like a natural time for it.

I think it's also good in respect a POI like this. We've had an awful lot of stuff to look at with this one in a relatively short period of time so it's good to let all that info settle.

It's also helpful for going over stuff so that you're not stuck in that looking for stuff mode.

To digress slightly.

This is a Very Interesting POI - a VPOI.

I guess you could also have QPOI for quite interesting IPOI for interesting, and then just plain ole' POI.

VPOI
QPOI
IPOI
POI.

lol, maybe just P then if they aren't interesting or, depending on how confrontational you are feeling you could have YHAL. I'll let you figure that one out. Very Happy

I was gonna go with POI - very etc but the acronym wasn't working for me POIV it's looks too much like the pronunciation for PERVE if you're from Nu Joisy.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:27 pm

I guess it wouldn't hurt to post Manalli's death certificate, it is a public record.

Fred Manalli - Page 26 Manallideathcertificate
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for that Deb.

Do you know if, the bit under the coroner's section where it says "INVESTIGATION", indicates that an investigation was carried out as to the nature of the accident and death or that one was recommended? I can't quite read the small print on that section.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 pm

The small print in section 21A says-

CORONER: I hereby certify that death occured at the hour date and place stated above from the causes stated below and that I have held on the remains of deceased as required by law A?

It's tough to read even with a magnifing glass!

If you want to know what is written in any other sections just let me know.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 pm

So does that mean that they kept 'bits' to further investigate?

The Coroner signed off on this on 9/13/76 after the burial on 8/28/76. Does that mean that whatever they were looking at concluded around 9/13/76?

I wonder what they decided? I'm slightly confused though. Is the burial allowed to go ahead if there's a coroner investigation? I know that when my Mum died we had to wait for the coroners investigation to concluded before we could bury her in case the coroner discovered something and ruled that an inquest should be held.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:52 pm

They probably did keep "bits", tissue and fluids most likely. Perhaps the reason the coroner signed off after the burial is they were waiting for the toxicology report to come back. Looking for drugs or alcohol probably.

Nachtsider might be able to help with this, I'll PM him.
Back to top Go down
Nachtsider
Chief
Nachtsider

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Got it covered, Seagull. Wink

The coroner normally only withholds the body if the cause of death is suspicious and warrants an autopsy. In Manalli's case, he died in a straightforward motor accident; all that would be required to determine drug and alcohol levels in his blood would be body fluids, which can be easily withdrawn from a corpse and do not necessitate an autopsy or withholding from burial.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Nachtsider
duckking2001
Lieuntenant
duckking2001

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 12:01 am

Yup, I dunno about back then but now it's pretty standard to do a tox screen on an auto-fatality, especially if someone else was involved, and that can take awhile (like two weeks or more) so the final version of the DC will be after the burial.
Back to top Go down
onewhoknows
Chief
onewhoknows

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 am

So did he fall asleep or commit suicide?
By the way only about 2% of the male population is 6"3" or taller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fred Manalli   Fred Manalli - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fred Manalli
Page 26 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zodiackillersite :: Zodiac Suspects & POI's General Discussion :: All other Zodiac Suspects & POI's-
Jump to: