Zodiackillersite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Zodiackillersite

DISCUSSION ABOUT THE ZODIAC KILLER - ALWAYS FREE TO JOIN, NO FEES EVER!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP

Go down 
+5
tracers
AK Wilks
bentley
tahoe27
morf13
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Wow! First time on your forum and first click lands me in my exact area of interest. Synchronicity. I am very interested in any research on construction projects/concrete truck drivers in the areas of interest. Does any one have any info on Tichert concrete company. They were, and may still be, around in 1969.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Not a Police officer   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm

I am not a police officer. Why does this show up next to my name???
Back to top Go down
tracers
Chief
tracers

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 3:31 pm

It is just a rank based on number of posts made on the board.
Back to top Go down
Quicktrader
Chief
Quicktrader

PostSubject: Map code solved?   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:29 pm

An assumption regarding Z's map code:

Intro:

The map code describes a position on the map.

Z emphasizes a description in his next letter (mentioning radians and inches on the map). Depending on where you start walking (signed in was mount diablo), ONE radion equals something like 'one step forward, one step along a circle line' or 'one mile forward, one mile along a circle line'. This has irritated a lot, as we couldn´t have known a.) the direction and b.) how far to go (e.g. 22 radians? 500 feet?). Of course also fractional amounts of Radians can be used to show a direction (either shown as 22 or as 2.2 on a compass rose).

In fact it is muuuuch easier:

A compass rose can be read in two ways units to navigate a direction. By reading DEGREES as a unit of angle or alternatively RADIANS as a unit of angle. So 360 Degrees are nothing else but 628.3 Radians. Radians were used in both, land or aircraft navigation (March Air Reserve Base?) and simply show us the direction to find our target. We keep in mind: RADIANS=DIRECTION.

How FAR we have to travel is depending on the scale of the map. If the scale of the map is '1 inch equals to 10 miles', then, 1.1 inches will be a distance of 11 miles, that easy. We further keep in mind: INCHES=DISTANCE.

Imagine your personal military trainer handing you over a map and shouting to you:
'54 Radians, 1.4 inches'. All you have to do is to take your compass, follow the direction of 54 Radians and - walk. Exactly 14 miles. With this navigation method you probably will find your military trainer back again, letting you rob some meters in wet mud.

Same navigation method could happen in an airplane or in sea navigation to find a target. Depending on the choice of the scale, larger or smaller distances come into effect.

Important is the fact that somebody WALKING or being mobile will need a COMPASS to navigate. This compass won´t work on geographical North at all...it will only work on MAGNETIC NORTH. This magnetic north differs each year (~40 miles) and is related to earth´s magnetic field. Depending on where exactly you are on our peaceful earthball, the DIFFERENCE of magnetic North to the geographic North can be measured.

Happily some geographical guys do this work for us.

Later you will find two links to figure it out by yourself, however when looking back to 1970, seen from mount diablo, the magnetic North pole has been about 16.5 degrees more in the Eastern direction (when looking to the North) than the geographic North pole.

Map upside shows geographic North, we walk to magnetic North...therefore our magnetic needle shows a little bit more to the East.

Ok, about the code:

I did some attempts after a guy mentioned something with onedotone etc...this lead to no conclusion. However the code tells us, that letter 6=14 and letter 8=16. So this led me to the thought that

a.) numbers were written out
b.) numbers were repeating

around these letters.

Furtherly the second letter equals the last letter. So if Z used the word 'inch' or 'radian' in his code, this would have consequences to the mentioned numbers as well. So I started:

After many useless attempts like 'radianfourteenonepointsixinches' which didn´t match the code (using excel helps), I had to figure out that almost none of these combinations worked at all. I even started to use MIL for Milli-inch, assuming that Z wanted us to walk only a few yards away from Mount diablo towards a ravine or so. But let´s keep in mind that he mentioned to find the bomb, which ought to be close to a school. Besides that, everything above 2 inches would have been quite too far away from Mount Diablo and did e.g. Vallejo not match any possible code combination. Also Stine and Riverside didn´t work out well to me. But have a look for yourself:

Finally my preferred solution #1 became the following:

INCH:ONEPOINTONERADIANS:EIGHTEEN

Well, I admit it is not the only solution that might fit, however if you won´t like it you still have the possibility to walk around with the other (three) solutions I´ve found.

However, this one leads to a result:

1. Take the map
2. Measure the scale as 1 inch (even if not knowing how many miles it is)
3. Put a compass rose on the map, with degree + radian scale
4. Put the compass rose geographically to the North
5. Look at Wikipedia for the Langitude and Latitude of Mount Diablo, convert it from minutes/hours to absolute degree numbers if necessary (link you find later)
6. Calculate the declination of magnetic North compared to geographic North on 26th June 1970 (http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination)
7. Turn your compass rose about 16.5 degrees to the East, still Mount Diablo in the center of it
8. Read Radian 'Eighteen' or '1.8' for the direction
9. Take 'onepointone' or '1.1' inches = 1.1 times the scale of the map from the center of your compass rose / Mount Diablo position
10. Find a small Lafayette city with a highway, some industry, lots of nice homes and - one incredibly huge school facility, including four elementary schools (http://www.lafsd.k12.ca.us/schoolsstanley)

Distance to Mount Diablo Drive: About 300 Ft.

Please find some attachment as well, thank you for your comments.
Back to top Go down
Quicktrader
Chief
Quicktrader

PostSubject: Attachment   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:41 pm

on request as I seem to be not clever enough to post a jpeg or such thing with google chrome.
Back to top Go down
onewhoknows
Chief
onewhoknows

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Very interesting....I am very familiar with Lafayette. One story I remember involved a cemetery
on Mount Diablo Blvd., where a missing little girl was buried, and they traced a suspect's scent to her
grave there, it was in the newspapers, an Amber Schwartz Garcia suspect I believe. (1990s) Lafayette is an
affluent little community, full of doctors and lawyers, surrounded by pure wilderness and parks. You
must go through a tunnel on hiway 24 to get into Oakland.
Back to top Go down
traveller1st
Chief
traveller1st

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Quicktrader wrote:
on request as I seem to be not clever enough to post a jpeg or such thing with google chrome.

1. click the host an image file button.

2. click the 'choose file' button.

3. choose you image and click ok.

4. click 'host it' button

5. copy the address from the middle option under Image : (important DON'T click the copy button it wont work, highlight the text and right click and choose copy or use ctrl+c. Don't click the upload button either.

6. paste that line in this window and that should be it. If you want the upload window to go away hit preview and you can check your image is placed then click the back to finish composing your message if you need to.

I use Google Chrome and that's how I get it to work for me.
Back to top Go down
tahoe27
Chief
tahoe27

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Another easy way to post photos.....

www.photobucket.com (it's free)

Just upload your photo and when it's saved, copy and paste the [IMG] code they provide into your message.
Back to top Go down
Nin
Chief
Nin

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Quicktrader wrote:
.. follow the direction of 54 Radians ...

How is that possible?

-Nin
Back to top Go down
Quicktrader
Chief
Quicktrader

PostSubject: Radian navigation   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Any magnetic compass needle shows to the direction of magnetic North...

This is equal to both, zero degrees or zero radians. Beginning from this 'neutral' position ('has to be set to Mag. N.'), you can either count degrees or radians on the compass to navigate. 'West' for example is equal to 270 degrees or 1.57 radians.

Radians can give information either about an angle, a length or even an area. This is not necessary to understand, as for navigation reasons the angle information is fully enough to describe a direction precisely. As the radian system is almost the same as the degree system, a conversion between these two systems is possible:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Degree-Radian_Conversion.svg&filetimestamp=20090209001543

One circle of 360 degrees is similar to 6.28 radians (which is equal to twice the number 'pi', 3,14...). However I saw radians shown in the form of 62.8 (instead of 6.28).

So if you want to navigate towards the direction 'West', simply look where 90 degrees are signed on your compass.

Depending on the system of your compass, those 90 degrees are fully equal to 1.57 (or 15.7) radians. This information about the direction can be easily convertet between the degree and radian system:

http://www.unitconversion.org/angle/degrees-to-radians-conversion.html

In our case, if we interprete the code correctly, radian eighteen is equal to radian 1.8 or 103 degrees...which is in the 'WestSouthWest' direction. 'Onepointone' 'inches along the radians' is leading directly to the Lafayette elementary school facility (to check out which, somebody with precise topographical measurement knowledge should calculate the exact position.
Back to top Go down
Quicktrader
Chief
Quicktrader

PostSubject: Please find other thread:   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Nin
Chief
Nin

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Quicktrader wrote:
.. However I saw radians shown in the form of 62.8 (instead of 6.28).

This is what I was getting to, QT. When you previously posted to follow the direction of 54 Radians I was quite confused as there are no more then 6,28 Radians in a circle, any circle. So 5.4 is what you really meant then. Thanks.

-Nin
Back to top Go down
Quicktrader
Chief
Quicktrader

PostSubject: Radians...   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 4:33 pm

...result from twice the number 'Pi' which is about 3.14...therefore 6.28 (or 628) radians make one circle round. Sadly I can´t find the site anymore where I had found these different type of writings.

However I think we now can be sure what Z meant with Radians (direction) and Inches along the radians (distance). Should be a typical (military) navigational term, this indeed strengthens any assumptions that Z worked had military education (walker boots, cryptography, navigation). Maybe he also was a teacher by profession.

While I had posted one solution, others might be worth to be mentioned as well (although the sign on 26, St. Stephens Drive is somehow strange - however I couldn´t find such a similar sign online). If anybody offers another solution of the cipher, I am willing to calculate the detailed longitude/latitude position of it. It would be interesting how these navigational issues had been dealt at institutions like March Air Reserve Base (Riverside).

If anybody has a connection to former airforce base employees, please keep the following questions in mind

- accessability of name lists (comparison with my-name-is-cipher)
- type of writing down navigational coordinates (e.g. RADONEPOINTEIGHTEEN etc..)

Last one for sure would help to find a perfect match, if not already been found (anybody wants to dig @ 26, St. Stephens Drive?)

BTW, this kind of navigation is called terrestric or 'waypoint' navigation and such issues have been used aviation as well, e.g. in the book 'Air navigation' from Frederick George Brown.

Quicktrader
Back to top Go down
bentley
Chief
bentley

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:23 pm

An informal method of measuring a relative bearing is by using the 'clock method'. In this method, the direction a vessel, aircraft or object is measured as if a clock face is laid over the vessel or aircraft, with the number twelve pointing forward. Something straight ahead is at 'twelve o'clock', while something directly off to the right is at 'three o'clock'. This method is only used for a relative bearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(navigation)

Did Z use a form of this 'clock method' on Mt. Diablo?
Back to top Go down
tahoe27
Chief
tahoe27

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 pm

bentley wrote:
An informal method of measuring a relative bearing is by using the 'clock method'. In this method, the direction a vessel, aircraft or object is measured as if a clock face is laid over the vessel or aircraft, with the number twelve pointing forward. Something straight ahead is at 'twelve o'clock', while something directly off to the right is at 'three o'clock'. This method is only used for a relative bearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearing_(navigation)

Did Z use a form of this 'clock method' on Mt. Diablo?

I think so...at least that was part of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP   6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

6/26/70 Zodiac "Button" letter with MAP
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next