Zodiackillersite

DISCUSSION ABOUT THE ZODIAC KILLER - ALWAYS FREE TO JOIN, NO FEES EVER!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ray H.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Ray H.   Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:09 pm

This is a photo of Ray H in 1960.

Ray H-Z comparisons:

1) Ray H attended Mountain View Academy from 1957-61:
http://www.classmates.com/directory/school/Mountain%20View%20Academy_2.jsp?org=11162
Mountain View Academy, Mountain view, CA

He then entered the Marines at Camp Pendleton, California (near Lancaster, Calif) where he met and became good friends with Walter Peyson, DePugh's subsequent right-hand man. "Wally would take [Ray] to Dr. Swift's lectures in Lancaster." See Jones excerpt at the end of this post.

2)He was a piccolo and flute player with the Marine Corps Band, and he was a cook. "Titwillo Titwillo Titwillo" is a piccolo flute solo in the Mikado.

Ray's musical influence may (or may not) explain Z's interest in the Mikado and the Beatles, e.g., his use of the term "blue meanies" from Yellow Submarine.

3) The initials on the RCC desktop poem are rh: ray h--?

4) Ray lived in San Bruno, a city in San Mateo county, adjacent to SF International Airport.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HgAdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=J5sEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4948,2403386&dq=raithby+husted&hl=en

5) Ray was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Cecelia Shepard was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Curiously, someone emailed Tom Voigt the following: "...I have been told by my mother that one saturday she was at Loma Linda SDA Church and they found in the guest book that the Zodiac had signed it." Shepard was from Loma Linda. Here's the link to the email: http://www.zodiackiller.com/ZMail.html

6) Here are samples of Ray's handwriting and comparisons with Z:

Compare the s in August with the s in Zodiac card sample:

Compare the A in ADDRESS

Compare the 7 and Aug:

Compare the R's in Ray's signature with the R in Riverside:

Notice that Ray spells front, frount. Z always spelled front, "frunt." Also notice the lined paper.

Compare Ray's I with Z's style of making I:

Compare the U's in August with the U's in the Red Phantom Letter:

5) Ray claimed that he was a distant cousin on his mother's side to Teddy and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Z used only FDR stamps on his letters until the Melvin Belli letter, which was rushed because, IMO, it was a satirical response to the fake Z on the Dunbar Show that aired the day prior.

6) Ray's name is 13 characters; the My Name Is cipher is 13 characters

7) Ray claimed to be an assassin for the MM. He then betrayed them, testifying in court against DePugh, Peyson, and Houghton. But the story is very complex. Right before his testimony, Ray H signed a statement for DePugh and his lawyers at the Moonlight Motel saying that he had been "brainwashed" by the FBI. His testimony, however, did not mention this. In The Minutemen, Harry Jones questions Ray about this:

It was several months later [late 1966] before H---'s strange behavior at the Moonlight Motel was explained, either to me or the Minutemen.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

"I thought I could get back into the Minutemen," he replied. "Maybe not as far as I had been, but get back into it and still supply information, which I'm convinced I could have done, but our fine federal government (and there was an unmistakeable note of resentment in his voice here) had other ideas."

So it seems obvious that Ray is truly repentant and desperately wants to make amends with the Minutemen organization for his damaging testimony. He also fears for his life [this is documented in the book as well]. Indeed, Houghton's conviction was eventually overturned in 1968, partly because of Ray's testimony. Here's what Jerry Brooks (a MM) said of Ray's testimony (quoted in Jones,The Minutemen, p. 353):

"When I saw [Ray] at the Federal building shortly after the grand jury testimony in the summer of 1966...he told me that he had been threatened and coerced into making a statement that was false, and that some federal agents had drugged him and he had been physically mistreated, including a beating, and made to sign a statement. I saw agents beating [Ray] in the Federal Building in Kansas City the day he returned from giving a sworn statement to Mr. DePugh and shortly before he was to testify before the grand jury...He said also that he was told to perjure himself and was told the precise testimony to give before the grand jury."

8. Ray got married on March 9, 1969 in Santa Cruz, CA at the age of 25:

California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
about Ray
Name: [Ray R H----]
Est. Birth: abt 1944
Spouse Name: Marilyn J D-----
Spouse Age: 26
Date: 9 Mar 1969

If RH was Z, this could explain the gap between LHR and BRS.

9) RH seems to be related to a certain Lt in the Vallejo PD. Interestingly, this Lt. H. was the one who championed Arthur Leigh Allen as a Z suspect. According to Det. John Lynch, who along with Lt H were the Vallejo cops who first interviewed Allen, Lt. H liked Allen best as a suspect; Lynch liked him least. Was Lt. H of the VPD covering for Ray?

10) RaithBY = BY Raith ... BY knife BY gun BY rope.....?

11) Ray is described in the book Very Special Agents, as "pink-cheeked" and "longing to be a detective." Zodiac was described as Welsh by Fouke. And he seemed to enjoy things related to Detective work. Indeed, Ray H said he wanted to be a cop but wasn't able to become one. Was this why Z taunted the "pigs"?

Here are two pages of background on Ray H from Harry Jones, THE MINUTEMEN. Note that Harry calls RH "handsome"; the girls who saw a suspect that might have been Z at Lake Berryessa described him as around 25 years old (RH's age at the time) and handsome.

Interesting that he was reading the Devil's Advocate, whose theme is that the devil is turning humanity into "slaves."

Here's a discussion of this and the significance of the book to the Minutemen:

http://www.scatteredremnant.org/MMCh3.pdf

Last edited by rand on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm

More comparisons:

RAY H:

ZODIAC:

Some ruled out Ray H based on his A. Compare these As for yourself:
RAY H:

ZODIAC:
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:51 pm

RAY H: NOTICE THE DOUBLE CROSSED T

ZODIAC:

RAY H: NOTICE HOW 14th is made: small th underlined.

ZODIAC: SAME THING IN 14th

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Rand,

I am old enough to remember (no comment), when we were still taught in school to do that; also to underline the "cents" amount, after we wrote out a dollar amount, like $37.23.

I think it may have been quite common for people to have done that back then.
Back to top Go down
Zamantha
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:12 pm

I agree. I always an still underline the cents, and also the th, like in this 14th. To me it looks more polished. ( of course I was taught in Vallejo schools, so hey...got an excuse for my writing and spelling Smile
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Lieuntenant

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Is there any more pictures of him?
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:46 pm

I'm still looking but I can't find any. I do have his home phone number. I'll try calling sometime this week.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 am

Compare the A in August by Ray with the A in A citizen (Z)

Also note the crossed out word in Ray's letter and the quotation marks and compare with Citizen Letter above:

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:08 am

RAY LIVED AT 408 SOUTH PINE STREET, Norborne, MO -- a house that DePugh eventually called his home.

Zodiac's first cipher was 408 characters. Quite a coincidence.

By the way, Mary in this passage is Mary Tollerton.

AKA M(ARIES) MONOTONE
AKA MARY'S MONOTONE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:58 am

rand wrote:
RAY LIVED AT 408 SOUTH PINE STREET, Norborne, MO -- a house that DePugh eventually called his home.

Zodiac's first cipher was 408 characters. Quite a coincidence.

By the way, Mary in this passage is Mary Tollerton.

AKA M(ARIES) MONOTONE
AKA MARY'S MONOTONE

Do you happen to know how Mary's last name was pronounced? Like was it pronounced to sound like "Toller-tone vs Mono-tone?
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:04 am

I think just Toller-ton. Monotone, I think, refers, to Z's voice being described as monotone. TH's voice was described as toneless.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:35 pm

I just spoke with Ray over the phone. Here's what he told me.

1. He was only in the MM for 5-6 weeks.
2. He joined the Forest Service for 3 months in 1965, then he lived in MO at MM headquarters at 408 South Pine in 1965, then he enlisted in the Air Force in Dec. 1965.
3. He was in Massachusetts in the fall of 1966. Then stationed in Germany.
4. He went to Vietnam in Feb. 1968-1969.
5. He got a month off to get married in SF in the Spring of 1969.
6. He was in Germany as an intelligence officer for the Air Force from 1969-1973, when he returned home.
7. He had no contact with the MM after Dec. 1965, except briefly during the trial.
8. He doesn't know anyone named Troy Houghton. (odd, since he testified during their trial)
9. He's an Oregonian essentially, though his parents lived in San Bruno.
10. He does have a very low, monotone voice. Very distinctive, as if he is/was a heavy smoker.
11. He said he very much resented the fact that a front page story in the KC Star (and Harry Jones's book) said: "Ray wants to be a spy" I asked him why? He said, yes, he said it, but "If I wanted to be a spy, I wouldn't broadcast it."
12. He also made a point of saying that he "hates rumours." I don't know why he said that but...

I'd say, based on these dates, that we can rule him out as a POI. That said, there was something unsettling about the conversation. He didn't seem very forthcoming to me. I think he wants as much distance between him and the MM as possible. And he resents the connection because it was only 5 weeks of his life. Understandable, I suppose. But, as I said to him, he was a major player in the organization's demise.
Back to top Go down
Nachtsider
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:19 pm

rand wrote:
8. He doesn't know anyone named Troy Houghton. (odd, since he testified during their trial)
If this didn't involve such a grim subject as murder, I'd be laughing my head off. No way he didn't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Nachtsider
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Me too. Hmmm. He's a very cagey guy. Very mum about details. I'm not sure I'm buying his time frames entirely. I don't know. I asked him: "Were you frightened about retaliation after your testimony against the MM?" His response: "No." That's not what Jones says in the book. Here's what it says:

Mary Tollerton is speaking here: "I said something to him, I said, 'Ray are you having trouble getting to sleep?' All of a sudden he got off the bed, came over to the chair where I was sitting and sat down on the floor. He put his arms around me, put his head in my lap and started to cry. This young man was afraid! he said, 'Mary, I am so frightened. I don't know what is going to happen to me. I am afraid for my life.'

"He was crying and he was not the kind of man to break down and cry easily. It was at this moment I think the real impact of the whole thing hit me and I really felt that he was telling the truth" [My note: about FBI/ATTU agents using drug injections and a padded cell to get a "false," signed statement from him]

(Mary's moving testimony was later printed in "Richard Cotten's Conservative Viewpoint," from a taped interview with Cotten, an ultraconservative radio propagandist with a following primarily in parts of the South and California)

From Harry Jones, Jr. THE MINUTEMEN (1968), p. 220.

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:52 pm

There's something about this guy that irks me. His voice was very low and distinctive. The facts of his life from what I've gathered fit what we know about Z to a tee.

1) Ray fits the decription of Z. He was in the military at the time of the Z crimes. Z was described as a military man. He wore military issued boots.

2)He was a piccolo and flute player with the Marine Corps Band, and he was a cook. "Titwillo Titwillo Titwillo" is a piccolo flute solo in the Mikado.

3) The initials on the RCC desktop poem are rh: ray h--?

4) Ray lived in San Bruno, a city in San Mateo county, adjacent to SF International Airport.

5) Ray claimed that he was a distant cousin on his mother's side to Teddy and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Z used only FDR stamps on his letters until the Melvin Belli letter, which was rushed because, IMO, it was a satirical response to the fake Z on the Dunbar Show that aired the day prior.

6) Ray's name is 13 characters; the My Name Is cipher is 13 characters

7) Ray got married on March 9, 1969 in Santa Cruz, CA at the age of 25:

California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
about Ray
Name: [Ray R H----]
Est. Birth: abt 1944
Spouse Name: Marilyn J D-----
Spouse Age: 26
Date: 9 Mar 1969

If RH was Z, this could explain the gap between LHR and BRS.

8. RH seems to be related to a certain Lt in the Vallejo PD. Interestingly, this Lt. H. was the one who championed Arthur Leigh Allen as a Z suspect. According to Det. John Lynch, who along with Lt H were the Vallejo cops who first interviewed Allen, Lt. H liked Allen best as a suspect; Lynch liked him least. Was Lt. H of the VPD covering for Ray?

9) RaithBY = BY Raith ... BY knife BY gun BY rope.....?

10) Ray was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Cecelia Shepard was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Curiously, someone emailed Tom Voigt the following: "...I have been told by my mother that one saturday she was at Loma Linda SDA Church and they found in the guest book that the Zodiac had signed it." Shepard was from Loma Linda. Here's the link to the email: http://www.zodiackiller.com/ZMail.html

11) Ray is described in the book Very Special Agents, as "pink-cheeked" and "longing to be a detective." Zodiac was described as Welsh by Fouke.

12) Z had disdain for the "pigs." This is a passage from Jones's book, THE MINUTEMEN about Ray that could explain it:

While in the Marines, he [Ray] taken several correspondence courses in the arts of detective and investigative work.
When I asked him recently why he liked investigative work and how he first had become interested in it, Ray replied: 'I just, oh, you might say liked watching Secret Agent, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., that sort of thing. I've always been interested in police work but never could qualify as a policeman.'"

13) Ray was selected by the Minutemen to be their "assassin." That is what he was training to be. He was also described as having a face that could easily blend into a crowd.

14) Ray joined the Air Force in 1966 and became a US military intelligence officer in Germany. There are clues that suggest that Z had connections to Germany.
Back to top Go down
Zamantha
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:13 pm

rand wrote:

Some of the info in this link always makes me re ponder things. Good re read for everyone!*
& yeah this was on Tom's site.... so credit goes there. Zodiackiller.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ray H.   

Back to top Go down

Ray H.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zodiackillersite :: Zodiac Suspects & POI's General Discussion :: All other Zodiac Suspects & POI's-
Jump to: