This is a photo of Ray H in 1960.
Ray H-Z comparisons:
1) Ray H attended Mountain View Academy from 1957-61:
Mountain View Academy, Mountain view, CA
He then entered the Marines at Camp Pendleton, California (near Lancaster, Calif) where he met and became good friends with Walter Peyson, DePugh's subsequent right-hand man. "Wally would take [Ray] to Dr. Swift's lectures in Lancaster." See Jones excerpt at the end of this post.
2)He was a piccolo and flute player with the Marine Corps Band, and he was a cook. "Titwillo Titwillo Titwillo" is a piccolo flute solo in the Mikado.
Ray's musical influence may (or may not) explain Z's interest in the Mikado and the Beatles, e.g., his use of the term "blue meanies" from Yellow Submarine.
3) The initials on the RCC desktop poem are rh: ray h--?
4) Ray lived in San Bruno, a city in San Mateo county, adjacent to SF International Airport.
5) Ray was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Cecelia Shepard was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Curiously, someone emailed Tom Voigt the following: "...I have been told by my mother that one saturday she was at Loma Linda SDA Church and they found in the guest book that the Zodiac had signed it." Shepard was from Loma Linda. Here's the link to the email: http://www.zodiackiller.com/ZMail.html
6) Here are samples of Ray's handwriting and comparisons with Z:
Compare the s in August with the s in Zodiac card sample:
Compare the A in ADDRESS
Compare the 7 and Aug:
Compare the R's in Ray's signature with the R in Riverside:
Notice that Ray spells front, frount. Z always spelled front, "frunt." Also notice the lined paper.
Compare Ray's I with Z's style of making I:
Compare the U's in August with the U's in the Red Phantom Letter:
5) Ray claimed that he was a distant cousin on his mother's side to Teddy and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Z used only FDR stamps on his letters until the Melvin Belli letter, which was rushed because, IMO, it was a satirical response to the fake Z on the Dunbar Show that aired the day prior.
6) Ray's name is 13 characters; the My Name Is cipher is 13 characters
7) Ray claimed to be an assassin for the MM. He then betrayed them, testifying in court against DePugh, Peyson, and Houghton. But the story is very complex. Right before his testimony, Ray H signed a statement for DePugh and his lawyers at the Moonlight Motel saying that he had been "brainwashed" by the FBI. His testimony, however, did not mention this. In The Minutemen
, Harry Jones questions Ray about this:
It was several months later [late 1966] before H---'s strange behavior at the Moonlight Motel was explained, either to me or the Minutemen.
"Why did you do it?" I asked.
"I thought I could get back into the Minutemen," he replied. "Maybe not as far as I had been, but get back into it and still supply information, which I'm convinced I could have done, but our fine federal government (and there was an unmistakeable note of resentment in his voice here) had other ideas."
So it seems obvious that Ray is truly repentant and desperately wants to make amends with the Minutemen organization for his damaging testimony. He also fears for his life [this is documented in the book as well]. Indeed, Houghton's conviction was eventually overturned in 1968, partly because of Ray's testimony. Here's what Jerry Brooks (a MM) said of Ray's testimony (quoted in Jones,The Minutemen
, p. 353):
"When I saw [Ray] at the Federal building shortly after the grand jury testimony in the summer of 1966...he told me that he had been threatened and coerced into making a statement that was false, and that some federal agents had drugged him and he had been physically mistreated, including a beating, and made to sign a statement. I saw agents beating [Ray] in the Federal Building in Kansas City the day he returned from giving a sworn statement to Mr. DePugh and shortly before he was to testify before the grand jury...He said also that he was told to perjure himself and was told the precise testimony to give before the grand jury."
8. Ray got married on March 9, 1969 in Santa Cruz, CA at the age of 25:
California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
Name: [Ray R H----]
Est. Birth: abt 1944
Spouse Name: Marilyn J D-----
Spouse Age: 26
Date: 9 Mar 1969
Location: Santa Cruz
If RH was Z, this could explain the gap between LHR and BRS.
9) RH seems to be related to a certain Lt in the Vallejo PD. Interestingly, this Lt. H. was the one who championed Arthur Leigh Allen as a Z suspect. According to Det. John Lynch, who along with Lt H were the Vallejo cops who first interviewed Allen, Lt. H liked Allen best as a suspect; Lynch liked him least. Was Lt. H of the VPD covering for Ray?
10) RaithBY = BY Raith ... BY knife BY gun BY rope.....?
11) Ray is described in the book Very Special Agents
, as "pink-cheeked" and "longing to be a detective." Zodiac was described as Welsh by Fouke. And he seemed to enjoy things related to Detective work. Indeed, Ray H said he wanted to be a cop but wasn't able to become one. Was this why Z taunted the "pigs"?
Here are two pages of background on Ray H from Harry Jones, THE MINUTEMEN. Note that Harry calls RH "handsome"; the girls who saw a suspect that might have been Z at Lake Berryessa described him as around 25 years old (RH's age at the time) and handsome.
Interesting that he was reading the Devil's Advocate, whose theme is that the devil is turning humanity into "slaves."
Here's a discussion of this and the significance of the book to the Minutemen: