Zodiackillersite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Zodiackillersite

DISCUSSION ABOUT THE ZODIAC KILLER - ALWAYS FREE TO JOIN, NO FEES EVER!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rand
Chief
rand

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Empty
PostSubject: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyMon May 03, 2010 6:45 pm

While I'm confident that Troy Houghton was Z, there are some very intriguing aspects about Raithby Roosevelt Husted that make him a very interesting POI. This is a photo of Raithby Roosevelt Husted in 1960.

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Raithb10

Husted-Z comparisons:

1) Husted attended Mountain View Academy from 1957-61:
http://www.classmates.com/directory/school/Mountain%20View%20Academy_2.jsp?org=11162
Mountain View Academy, Mountain view, CA

He then entered the Marines at Camp Pendleton, California (near Lancaster, Calif) where he met and became good friends with Walter Peyson, DePugh's subsequent right-hand man. "Wally would take Raithby to Dr. Swift's lectures in Lancaster." See Jones excerpt at the end of this post.
He was a piccolo and flute player with the Marine Corps Band, and he was a cook. The musical influence may (or may not) explain Z's interest in the Mikado and "Blue Meanies."

2) The initials on the RCC desktop poem are rh: raithby husted?

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Zpoem11

3) Raithby Husted lived in San Bruno, a city in San Mateo county, adjacent to SF International Airport.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HgAdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=J5sEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4948,2403386&dq=raithby+husted&hl=en

4) Husted was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Cecelia Shepard was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Raithb11

Curiously, someone emailed Tom Voigt the following: "...I have been told by my mother that one saturday she was at Loma Linda SDA Church and they found in the guest book that the Zodiac had signed it." Shepard was from Loma Linda. Here's the link to the email: http://www.zodiackiller.com/ZMail.html

5) Husted claimed that he was a distant cousin on his mother's side to Teddy and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Z used only FDR stamps on his letters until the Melvin Belli letter, which was rushed because, IMO, it was a satirical response to the fake Z on the Dunbar Show that aired the day prior.

6) Raithby Husted is 13 characters; the My Name Is cipher is 13 characters

7) Husted claimed to be an assassin for the MM. He then betrayed them, testifying in court against DePugh, Peyson, and Houghton. But the story is very complex. Right before his testimony, Raithby Husted signed a statement for DePugh and his lawyers at the Moonlight Motel saying that he had been "brainwashed" by the FBI. His testimony, however, did not mention this. In The Minutemen, Harry Jones questions Ray about this:

It was several months later [late 1966] before Husted's strange behavior at the Moonlight Motel was explained, either to me or the Minutemen.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

"I thought I could get back into the Minutemen," he replied. "Maybe not as far as I had been, but get back into it and still supply information, which I'm convinced I could have done, but our fine federal governemtn (and there was an unmistakeable note of resentment in his voice here) had other ideas."

So it seems obvious that Husted is truly repentant and desperately wants to make amends with the Minutemen organization for his damaging testimony. He also fears for his life [this is documented in the book as well]. Indeed, Houghton's conviction was eventually overturned in 1968, partly because of Husted's testimony. Here's what Jerry Brooks (a MM) said of Husted's testimony (quoted in Jones,The Minutemen, p. 353):

"When I saw Raithby Husted at the Federal building shortly after the grand jury testimony in the summer of 1966...he told me that he had been threatened and coerced into making a statement that was false, and that some federal agents had drugged him and he had been physically mistreated, including a beating, and made to sign a statement. I saw agents beating Raithby Husted in the Federal Building in Kansas City the day he returned from giving a sworn statement to Mr. DePugh and shortly before he was to testify before the grand jury...He said also that he was told to perjure himself and was told the precise testimony to give before the grand jury."

8. Husted got married on March 9, 1969 in Santa Cruz, CA at the age of 25:

California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
about Raithby R Husted
Name: Raithby R Husted
Est. Birth: abt 1944
Spouse Name: Marilyn J Downing
Spouse Age: 26
Date: 9 Mar 1969

If RH was Z, this could explain the gap between LHR and BRS.

9) Husted seems to be related to Lt. James Husted, Vallejo PD. Interestingly, Lt. Husted was the one who championed Arthur Leigh Allen as a Z suspect. According to Det. John Lynch, who along with Husted were the Vallejo cops who first interviewed Allen, Husted like Allen best as a suspect; Lynch liked him least.
When I suggested the Raithby-Lt. Jim Husted connection, THE FOREIGNER did the following research (for free, thank you TH Wink )
Here is info concerning the Vallejo Lt. Jim Husted you referred to:
Now, there was a James Husted who divorced a woman in Solano County in 1974, remarried in Solano County in May 1976, divorced in Solano in 1982, remarried in Napa in 1984 (I cant be sure this is the Lt you are referring to but, IMO, the possibility is pretty high it is him:

California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
about James J Husted
Name: James J Husted
Est. Birth: abt 1940
Spouse Name: Joana M Feldman
Spouse Age: 35
Date: 8 May 1976

James Husted has several connection to Oregon just like the Raithby R Husted family:

HUSTED, JAMES JOHN (Age 70)

Associated names:

HUSTED, JAMES A

Possible Employment / Business Associations:

AFFORDABLE GEMS AND JEWELRY
EAGLE POINT RANCH, INC
GALLERY4COLLECTORS
JJH AND ASSOCIATES
JJH AND ASSOCIATES
THE OREGON PROPERTY CONNECTION, INC

MEDFORD, OR
CENTRAL POINT, OR
TALENT, OR
NAPA, CA
BOWMAN, CA
ASHLAND, OR Possible Relatives:

HUSTED, MARILYN LJENSEN (Age 54)
HUSTED, MARILYN L

Here are two pages of background on Raithby Husted from Harry Jones, THE MINUTEMEN

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Husted10

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Husted11

Interesting that he was reading the Devil's Advocate, whose theme is that the devil is turning humanity into "slaves."

Here's a discussion of this and the significance of the book to the Minutemen:

http://www.scatteredremnant.org/MMCh3.pdf
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyWed May 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Arrrggghhh rand! LOL
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyWed May 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Rand, this guy doesnt look old enough, or stocky enough to be Zodiac, but he looks better on paper at least, IMO, then Haughton. If he can be placed in Solano County, that is mroe than you have been able to do with Haughton. Now, yo umust verify he was the correct guy in Solano County, and try to get his writing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyThu May 13, 2010 1:54 am

Rand, you posted this on another board in January;

Raithby Husted wasn't Z; Houghton, IMO, was. Husted was a blond-haired 23-yr-old kid. I think, however, that he may have been related to Lt. Jim Husted of the VPD.

I'm just saying....
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyThu May 13, 2010 7:04 am

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief
rand

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyFri May 14, 2010 1:41 am

woodenigloo wrote:
Rand, you posted this on another board in January;

Raithby Husted wasn't Z; Houghton, IMO, was. Husted was a blond-haired 23-yr-old kid. I think, however, that he may have been related to Lt. Jim Husted of the VPD.

I'm just saying....

Precisely what I say in this thread. Houghton was, IMO, Z. No doubt in my mind. I'm only posting this thread because others are not as convinced as I am that Houghton was Z. Raithby Husted is a POI. Not my favorite POI, but a POI.

Morf: the picture of Husted was taken in 1960. He didn't look like that in 1969. I couldn't disagree with you more that RH looks better on paper than Houghton. I've amassed around 40 items that link Houghton to Z. These things are, IMO, beyond coincidence. Husted has none of these links other than the Roosevelt stamps, the rh on the desktop, and the Adventist church connection.
As for not being able to place Houghton in the Bay Area, he disappeared -- vanished. I can't place him anywhere after May 1967. But that doesn't mean he wasn't Z. Hardly. What I can do is show that Z's references, motifs, themes, etc. are entirely consistent with important things in Houghton's life. That Houghton's background fits what we know of Z.

Here's a partial list of things that connect Houghton to Z (no other viable POI comes close to this list):

TH shot out the tires of a woman's car in 1964; Z talked about shooting out the tires of a school bus.

TH targeted young girls to flash; Z talked about targeting "kiddies"

TH was written about in a nationally syndicated column with Little List in the title

The MM were compared to G&S in a series of articles on the MM in the Arizona Republic in 1968. DePugh thought this expose was important enough to respond to with a letter when he was a fugitive in NM.

TH fits the composite in terms of height, weight, stocky, widow's peak, age, brownish curly hair

TH was speaking at the Jolly Roger Inn, CA when guns were drawn and this incident appeared in the LA Times and other papers. Z sent a Jolly Roger greeting card.

TH's wife and father-in-law owned art supply companies; the MM did their own publishing

TH was convicted twice of flashing. The image on the HC is, IMO, of a flasher

The by gun, by knife, by rope, by fire image forms a tH. The MM decal has by knife, by rope, by fire and a crosshair symbol. By fire: Houghton committed arson at age 14. His lawyer died in a fire after failing to get him an
appeal -- a lawyer who TH claimed sold him up the river

TH had a class A license in explosives. He owned a company called Trojan Mining and Blasting Co.

In The Minutemen, Harry wrote: "Houghton sported a button on his coat reading 'S.O.B.' -- for 'Sweep Out Brown.'"
So TH wore snarky buttons, while Z insisted people wear his button and spoke of silly buttons like Melvin Eats Bluber

TH was a member of the White Knights of the KKK. A Dragon is portrayed on the original KKK flag (Dragon card). The Good Citizen was a KKK publication. 5 of the 7 elements of the KKK are water, hood, robe, sword, cross (represented as a Celtic cross in a circle). All elements present at LB. The other two are god and country.

The MM decal talks about a poison pen. The dripping-pen card may be a poison pen letter.

Most of the murders were committed on days and/or in places that are symbolic of the Revolutionary period.

TH talked about 13 bullet holes in his car. The postcard has 13 holes punched in it.

The MM flag was a Betsy Ross flag with 13 stars. 13 eyes on the HC.

The FBI suspected the Minutemen were in the hills in Deer Lodge MT when the escaped Deer Lodge convicts were up there as well. Z claimed to be an escaped convict from Deer Lodge prison.

The MM were trained in codes, ciphers, mail deception, letters to the editor, making bombs, how to use a rifle, and other guerilla tactics. All of these are consistent with what we know about Z.

TH had a shortwave radio in his office that he relied upon for his safety. (THIS IS THE ZODIAC SPEAKING).

TH was a regional coordinator for the Minutemen. Z placed a clock-stamp on the envelope of the Exorcist letter:
http://www.zodiackiller.com/ExorcistEnvelope.html

TH's name can be found in the 408; and +he Minutemen can be found in the code when the last 18 letters of the translation are recoded.

The Minutemen(crosshair symbol) fits the My Name Is cipher in terms of letter and symbol distribution.

TH's voice was described as "toneless" in the Look Magazine article.

Z put 13 eyes on the inside of the HC. TH was featured in LOOK magazine.

TH says in the Look article in 1966 that he and the MM were apolitical -- beyond politics, which had let them down too many times to care about anymore.

TH was on the front page and pages of the LA Times dozens of times. Z said that he was writing to the LA Times because they don't bury him on the back pages like some of the others.

TH said right before he disappeared that he had a list of people who would be murdered.

TH was arrested on a concealed weapons charge and a Federal weapons charge for using a silencer.

TH was accused of harrassing Mosk, who in response to these and other MM activities introduced a bill to ban mail-order guns in CA. The bill was successful. Z talked about acquiring one of his guns prior to the mail-order ban.

The MM put decals of a crosshair on cars. Z put a crosshair and wrote on Hartnell's door.

TH drove a beatup white car. Z was said to be driving a light-colored or white car; there were four different tires on his car at LB.

BRS occurred on July 4th, LB was on Adam's birthday (Paul Revere's ride to warn Adams); Stine occurred on Columbus Day weekend; LHR occurred 4 years to the day when TH shot out the tires of the woman's car and was the night prior to TH's first son's, Troy's, 13th birthday.

The San Diego Honeymoon murders seem very similiar to Z's murders. TH lived in San Diego.

CJB's murder occurred on the very night when a large MM bust occurred in NY. A watch (Minute man) was found at the scene. The teletyped letter reads very much like the MM decal (Harry noticed this). TH was most probably in LA with DePugh that afternoon at a MM fundraiser. The CJB murder and the MM bust appeared together on the front pages of the Southern California newspapers.

TH was booked for malicious destruction of property for clipping out two pages from a library book in 1966.
CJB was murdered when she left the RCC library in 1966.

In July 1969, Belli represented a murderer (the trunk murderer) who had gone underground using a fake identity for over 35 years, and this appeared in all the California newspapers, esp. Bay Area ones.
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img96/6051/houghtonbellifugitive19.jpg
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img651/6051/houghtonbellifugitive19.jpg

Belli was also Jack Ruby's lawyer. The MM were implicated in the JFK assassination TH said he immediately went underground after the assassination. Oswald himself mentioned the MM several times in his writings.

Eleven days after the JFK assassination, a letter postmarked Lancaster CA was sent to Dallas that looks very much like a Z letter: http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/04/0403-002.gif
Houghton's right-hand man, Dennis Mower, lived in Lancaster, CA. JFK can be seen in the backwards letters in the Diablo code.

And while the TH handwriting is inconclusive because it's cursive and Z didn't write much in cursive, there are some very compelling, IMO, comparisons:

Haughton's TH
Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Haught20

TH from Bates Letter:

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Bates10

Troy's T with distinctive curl at the end:

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Haught18

The R in Riverside on the Hautz envelope with distinctive curl at the end:

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Newbat12

This is from this envelope

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Zodiac12
Another very odd and characteristic similarity is that Troy makes his t's without crossing them. He comes back at the end of the word and crosses it.

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Haught19

Notice that in the Hautz envelope, the writer started Enterprise but then crossed it out. The t was made just as Troy makes it: a loop but there is no cross, as if that would be made at the end of the word coming back.

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Zodiac13
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyFri May 14, 2010 7:07 am

RAND SAID: "Morf: the picture of Husted was taken in 1960. He didn't look like that in 1969. I couldn't disagree with you more that RH looks better on paper than Houghton. I've amassed around 40 items that link Houghton to Z. These things are, IMO, beyond coincidence. Husted has none of these links other than the Roosevelt stamps, the rh on the desktop, and the Adventist church connection.
As for not being able to place Houghton in the Bay Area, he disappeared -- vanished. I can't place him anywhere after May 1967. But that doesn't mean he wasn't Z. Hardly. What I can do is show that Z's references, motifs, themes, etc. are entirely consistent with important things in Houghton's life. That Houghton's background fits what we know of Z."

The problem here is that you cant place him at the scene of the crimes, or even in Vallejo. I had a really good suspect on paper who was from Southern CA, and the same thing, I could not ever place him in the Vallejo area. Place the guy in Vallejo area, and you will get alot more attention as far as Haughton being a good Z suspect.

ON a personal level, his writing didnt look that much like Zodiac(in my opinion), and you are comparing his writing to cursive that isnt confirmed to be Zodiac's.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief
rand

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:40 am

It's all I have to work with. If there is confirmed cursive Z writing, I don't know of it. All I can do is compare TH's cursive handwriting to what we suspect may have been Z's cursive handwriting. I think the comparisons I've made are compelling given the uniqueness of the specific items (a curly cue at the end of the first capital letter in a word, etc.) Others may disagree.

You said you had a suspect but couldn't place him in Vallejo. Did he disappear? There's a big difference. If I knew where TH was and it wasn't Vallejo, that's very different than not knowing where he was.
Why should his disappearance discount all the connections I've made? It's very frustrating for me. You say you had a suspect but couldn't place him in Vallejo. Did your suspect have the same amount and quality of connections that I've listed for TH? If not, why the equivication? To see if it's a fair comparision, I need to see a list of your suspect's connections to Z and compare them with what I've compiled aganst TH. There is so much on TH; even bizarre things like Patricia Hautz (Haughton)? Of course, we don't know if Z wrote the Hautz letter, but you must admit this is a strange coincidence. And it was not the reason I chose Houghton as a suspect. This is very important in my opinion. Most (roughly 85%) of what I've compiled was done after I had TH as a POI.

If he had as many connections to Z as I've listed for TH AND he disappeared (rather than was known to be living in NYC, for example, during the crimes), then we have a fair comparison. Wink

Here's the 64 thousand dollar question, IMO: why would Z have taken the time to put a flasher image on the Halloween Card and write: PEEK A BOO? What does flashing have to do with Z's crimes? Nothing that I can think of. But it has everything to do with Houghton's identity. So much so, in fact, that the MM newsletter commented on this image -- claiming it was unfair. What other POI had a background of flashing? What other MM had a background in flashing? Given this image on a card that says, YOU ACHE TO KNOW MY IDENTITY SO LET ME CLUE YOU IN...combined with all the other TH-Z links and MM-Z links, I'm positive that TH was Z. And remember, in just one short article in Look magazine, TH mentions 13 bullet holes in his car, talks about vanishing after JFK's murder, is described as having a "toneless" voice and being dependent on his shortwave radio (THIS IS THE ZODIAC SPEAKING), claims to carry a pistol with a silencer in his briefcase, etc. How many other suspects would leave behind so much incriminating evidence in a two-page article in Look magazine? The point being: the more you know about TH, the more he fits Z.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman   Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman Empty

Back to top Go down

Raithby Roosevelt Husted: Another Minuteman
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zodiackillersite :: Zodiac Suspects & POI's General Discussion :: All other Zodiac Suspects & POI's-
Jump to: