Zodiackillersite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Zodiackillersite

DISCUSSION ABOUT THE ZODIAC KILLER - ALWAYS FREE TO JOIN, NO FEES EVER!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zodiac Suspects named in police reports

Go down 
+8
StitchMallone
patinky
tahoe27
entropy
smithy
Seagull
Nachtsider
morf13
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
morf13
Admin
morf13

Zodiac Suspects named in police reports Empty
PostSubject: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:51 am

THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR SUSPECTS NAMED IN THE ZODIAC POLICE REPORTS! DO NOT ENTER POSTS ABOUT ANY OF THE WELL KNOWN SUSPECTS THAT ALREADY HAVE THREADS ELSEWHERE. ALSO, DO NOT POST FULL NAMES OF THESE SUSPECTS UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE (AND SHOW PROOF IN YOUR POST)THAT THEY ARE DEAD. IF THEY ARE ALIVE, ONLY USE FIRST & LAST INITALS.

DISCLAIMER:
WE ARE NOT CALLING ANY OF THE PEOPLE NAMED IN THESE REPORTS ZODIAC, NOR ARE WE CLAIMING THAT THEY COMMITTED ANY CRIMES, WE ARE MERELY DISCUSSING THE FACT THAT THEIR NAMES APPEAR IN THE VARIOUS ZODIAC INVESTIGATIVE REPORTS AS SUSPECTS

Please follow the above rules. This is a chance to discuss people named in the police reports, and the various info and tidbits on how and why they are suspects, and whether or not they were ruled out and if so, how.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 am

I will start with one guy that appears in the reports:

Aubrey D. Bailey, one of the closer look alikes to te Z sketch

Name: Aubrey Bailey
Birth: 17 Dec 1933
Death: Apr 1981 - San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
Civil: Kansas
Other: Hayward, Alameda, California, United States of America

Zodiac Suspects named in police reports Aubrey15

Zodiac Suspects named in police reports Fbi_re10
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 am

Griffin R. Franklin, spent time in Napa Mental hospital, mentioned multiple times in various reports

Name: Griffin R. Franklin
Birth: 11 Jan 1949
Death: 8 Feb 1999 - Fairfield, Solano, California, United States of America
Civil: California

Last edited by morf13 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 am

Thomas L. Southern, accused by his wife, and possibly others. Many mentions regarding him in various reports:

Divorced in June 69 in Solano County

Name: Thomas L. Southern
Birth: 13 Jan 1944
Death: 30 Oct 2007 - Corpus Christi, Nueces, Texas
Civil: Texas
Back to top Go down
Nachtsider
Chief
Nachtsider

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 11:46 am

Griffin was an interesting guy. Tall enough and large enough to be Zodiac, served in the Air Force, mentally ill with a known propensity for violence, had a home in Vallejo. Too bad the prints didn't match.

Morf, what was it about Bailey that put the cops on his tail?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Nachtsider
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm

I will suggest that Bailey was put on the suspect list because he was gay and resembled the San Francisco composite. If you recall newspapers and Paul Avery in particular reported that Zodiac may be a latent homosexual.

Bailey was involved with CHF and wrote to their newsletter. Here is a little about the history of the Committee for Homosexual Freedom which had their beginnings in spring of 1969.

Quote :
Committee for Homosexual Freedom

The bulk of this collection documents the birth, growth, and activities of the Committee for Homosexual Freedom (CHF), probably the first "gay liberation" group in Northern California, originating in the spring of 1969 by Leo Laurence and Gale Whittington. Laurence was the current editor of Vector, the official publication of the Society for Individual Rights (SIR) the largest gay group in San Francisco during the late 1960s. In late March of 1969, Laurence had his young friend Whittington pose as a model for a Vector article on the new fashion styles of young gay men. The photographer hired to shoot the session also took one or more informal photos, including one with Leo hugging the shirtless Whittington. Without their knowledge, a copy of this photograph was acquired by the Berkeley Barb, where it was used to illustrate an interview of Laurence on the increasing militancy among some gay men. The bold headline over the photo was "Don't Hide It" with a smaller "Homo Revolt" to the side. A copy of this paper found its way into the hands of Whittington's boss at the States Line Steamship Company, who fired him from his clerical position on the spot.
Devastated, Whittington went straight to Laurence with the news. The two commiserated and talked well into the evening. Laurence, determined to fight this gross injustice, suggested the two form a new group which could call for action against States Line. Over coffee at the restaurant that would later become Church Street Station, The two agreed on this plan, dubbing the new group the Committee for Homosexual Freedom (CHF). The next day they made a couple of picket signs and a leaflet that explained the situation, urging others to join the protest. Midday they made their way to the States Line offices in the 300 block of California, where they began picketing and handing out flyers to the astonished people passing by. A few joined them in their protest; encouraged by this support, they quickly developed a plan to picket the company every day during the lunch hour when hordes of stockbrokers, bankers and office workers filled the street. More people joined each day, and CHF began holding meetings to discuss the States Line action as well as other issues that came up. Over the next few months, CHF engaged in numerous actions. Although Whittington never got his job back, the group got a lot of publicity, and in another gay related firing at Tower Records, CHF did manage to get the employee rehired. Later in the year CHF was joined by another fledgling group, the Berkeley Gay Liberation Front (GLF), in continuing actions and street theater.

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf0779n3t6/entire_text/
Back to top Go down
http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Nachtsider wrote:
Griffin was an interesting guy. Tall enough and large enough to be Zodiac, served in the Air Force, mentally ill with a known propensity for violence, had a home in Vallejo. Too bad the prints didn't match.

Morf, what was it about Bailey that put the cops on his tail?

That I dont know. I just requested his death certificate and military background records as well as his FBI file to see whatelse can be learned. Its odd that the FBI was only doing writing & print work for the Z case, yet with Bailey, the SF division of the FBI put Bailey forth as a suspect.

I am trying to verify it, but I think Bailey may have been a homosexual. I think he wrote an article in a SF area gay newsletter called "the worm has turned".

This defeat led the San Francisco Police to appoint a liaison and to end vice squad ("Sex Detail") harassment of gay/lesbian events. "The Worm Has Turned" was the title of an article by Aubrey Bailey in the 20 May 1969 CHF Newsletter. (I discuss San Francisco gay press coverage of what was then called the "Sheridan Square riots" in my book American Gay.
In San Francisco, there was also Committee for Homosexual Freedom (CHF) picketing in the spring of 1969 of San Francisco businesses that fired gay employees.
Back to top Go down
smithy
Chief
smithy

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I presume you're quoting Stephen O. Murray there Morf, rather than admitting to being him?
I'm just wondering.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 pm

smithy wrote:
I presume you're quoting Stephen O. Murray there Morf, rather than admitting to being him?
I'm just wondering.

LOL,yeah I am not Stephen Murray
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Seagull wrote:
I will suggest that Bailey was put on the suspect list because he was gay and resembled the San Francisco composite. If you recall newspapers and Paul Avery in particular reported that Zodiac may be a latent homosexual.

Bailey was involved with CHF and wrote to their newsletter. Here is a little about the history of the Committee for Homosexual Freedom which had their beginnings in spring of 1969.

Quote :

The bulk of this collection documents the birth, growth, and activities of the Committee for Homosexual Freedom (CHF), probably the first "gay liberation" group in Northern California, originating in the spring of 1969 by Leo Laurence and Gale Whittington. Laurence was the current editor of Vector, the official publication of the Society for Individual Rights (SIR) the largest gay group in San Francisco during the late 1960s. In late March of 1969, Laurence had his young friend Whittington pose as a model for a Vector article on the new fashion styles of young gay men. The photographer hired to shoot the session also took one or more informal photos, including one with Leo hugging the shirtless Whittington. Without their knowledge, a copy of this photograph was acquired by the Berkeley Barb, where it was used to illustrate an interview of Laurence on the increasing militancy among some gay men. The bold headline over the photo was "Don't Hide It" with a smaller "Homo Revolt" to the side. A copy of this paper found its way into the hands of Whittington's boss at the States Line Steamship Company, who fired him from his clerical position on the spot.
Devastated, Whittington went straight to Laurence with the news. The two commiserated and talked well into the evening. Laurence, determined to fight this gross injustice, suggested the two form a new group which could call for action against States Line. Over coffee at the restaurant that would later become Church Street Station, The two agreed on this plan, dubbing the new group the Committee for Homosexual Freedom (CHF). The next day they made a couple of picket signs and a leaflet that explained the situation, urging others to join the protest. Midday they made their way to the States Line offices in the 300 block of California, where they began picketing and handing out flyers to the astonished people passing by. A few joined them in their protest; encouraged by this support, they quickly developed a plan to picket the company every day during the lunch hour when hordes of stockbrokers, bankers and office workers filled the street. More people joined each day, and CHF began holding meetings to discuss the States Line action as well as other issues that came up. Over the next few months, CHF engaged in numerous actions. Although Whittington never got his job back, the group got a lot of publicity, and in another gay related firing at Tower Records, CHF did manage to get the employee rehired. Later in the year CHF was joined by another fledgling group, the Berkeley Gay Liberation Front (GLF), in continuing actions and street theater.

I emailed them about obtaining correspondences or written docs they may have on file. NIN posted over on ZK.com that the deadline given by Z to post his letter,or he would ride around shooting people coincided with some gay event that the CHF was involved in
Back to top Go down
entropy
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Seagull wrote:

Quote :

Wouldn't surprise me, Seagull. That Paul Avery article, of course, was ostensibly offering the opinion of one investigator about Zodiac's "latent homosexuality". Since Zodiac wasn't sexually offending when he had the opportunity, he may been perceived as possibly homosexual and there was surely plenty of homophobic misconceptions toward those perceived as homosexual at the time.

"Andy Walker's" alleged homosexual activities were also considered as a point of suspicion against him. I'm not exactly sure how "hanging out in rest stop areas engaging in homosexual activities" made you look like a serial killer at the time but it apparently did among at least some late 60's law enforcement.

http://www.zodiackiller.com/Walker3.html
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Maybe back then,they thought if you were gay, you had mental issues?
Back to top Go down
tahoe27
Chief
tahoe27

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Nachtsider wrote:

Let's hope it wasn't only the prints they considered.

Until you find TWO crimes with matching prints, tire tracks, hair samples, etc., how can any of that be used to eliminate a suspect?

Still bugs me how doctors thought Griffin could be capable of such a crime, yet they gave him a weekend pass. Suspect
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 pm

I heard from the guy that ran the CHF and he said this about Aubrey Bailey-

"I did some further checking and learned that Bailey had, indeed, walked out picket lines. He apparently was an older man who was atypical of the much younger guys in the C-H-F. Reportedly, he seemed sad and cried a lot on the line. Also, he reportedly served time in Soledad, but I have no confirmation of that.
He was NOT actively involved in the C-H-F organization and did NOT attend meetings.
Hope this helps
."

He is going to do some more digging for stuff too

Anybody know what SOLEDAD IS?
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Great work Morf! cheers

Well, if Bailey did serve time at Soledad that might explain why LE took an interest in him.
Back to top Go down
Seagull
Chief
Seagull

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:09 pm

You must have edited your post to add the last question. Soledad is a prison in California.
Back to top Go down
patinky
Captain
patinky

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 pm

morf13 wrote:
Maybe back then,they thought if you were gay, you had mental issues?

Yes, Morf, you are so right on that. It was listed in the DSM back then as a mental illness. The DSM has since changed that diagnosis, iirc, in the 1980s, when it was "discovered" that homosexuality was a sociological problem but had nothing to do with one's mental state. Now, of course, it is considered an alternative normal behavior.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Seagull wrote:
Great work Morf! cheers

Well, if Bailey did serve time at Soledad that might explain why LE took an interest in him.

Thanks wonder how to find out about his time there?
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 5:10 pm

morf13 wrote:
Seagull wrote:
Great work Morf! cheers

I have a couple obituaries and high school pics of Bailey in the mail to me. I hope to get them by Saturday or Monday.
Back to top Go down
StitchMallone
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm

morf13 wrote:
morf13 wrote:
Seagull wrote:
Great work Morf! cheers

I have a couple obituaries and high school pics of Bailey in the mail to me. I hope to get them by Saturday or Monday.
Cool! Question for you Morf what are you going to do with yourself on Saturdays when the post office stops delivering lol ?
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Aubrey Bailey LETTER TO THE EDITOR of a gay magazine:
Zodiac Suspects named in police reports Aubrey16
Zodiac Suspects named in police reports Aubrey17
Zodiac Suspects named in police reports Aubrey18
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm

RAYMOND G. "Rocky" GANN.
Name: Raymond G. Gann
Birth: 19 Dec 1923
Death: 21 Nov 2004 - Longview, Cowlitz, Washington, United States of America
Civil: California

Turned in by a teenager as a z suspect(reason unknown). Worked on a tugboat,married multiple times. He was a member of the Free Masons. Seagull knows a bit about him as her Husband was in the same union. He was an 'odd guy' I think she said. He was not close with his union Brothers.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm

GLENN W. ALBERTSON

Name: Glenn W. Albertson
Birth: 30 Jan 1929
Death: 5 Jun 2000 - Vallejo, Solano, California, United States of America
Civil: Minnesota

Had spent time in Napa state mental Hospital. Mentioned in multiple reports. I think I remember that he was the author of a 'Charlie Brown' card,that was sent to the FBI for examination against Zodiac's writing. I checked him out and found out he was in some sort of carpet sales business,and obtained a permit in 1974 to do some sort of door to door sales of carpet sales or shampooing,etc
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 pm

DENNIS MICHAEL PATRICK

Social Security Death Index about Dennis M. Patrick
Name: Dennis M. Patrick
SSN: 570-68-8707
Born: 19 Mar 1946
Died: 26 Nov 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: California (1963)

On 7/9/69 Somebody turned police onto this guy. They sent a tip to police "Badly rusted beatup corvair getting a bright green paintjob at 909 Georgia.Owner about 25, 5ft9,over 200lbs,brownish thinning hair,sloppy fat,strange acting,lives with his parents"

I find the timing so close to the 7/4 attack and the fact he is getting his car painted interesting. He told police he went to the fireworks and came home at 11:30 pm parking in front of his parents home,and that he did not leave again that night. States that his car can be started without a key,but in the morning it was in the same place as where he left it the night before. States he does not own any guns.
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin
morf13

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 pm

This next guy is NOT listed as a suspect,but this acccount of his is very interesting:

DONALD LANCE BERONIO (not listed as a suspect)

Donald Beronio
Birth: 14 Jan 1947
Death: 12 Sep 1992 - Woodland, Yolo, California, United States of America
California

His Motherinlaw stated the following on 7/9/69:

She stated thather Daughter,and son in law(Beronio)who lived in Santa Maria(not far from Domingos/Edwards crime scene), had shared a story with her. They had come to visit her on the 4th of July weekend. The couple was supposed to have been contacted by a subject who told them that he was involved in some shootings, and wanted to go back to Santa Maria with them. Beronio did not want anything to do with the guy. The mother in law stated that Beronio had told her a name of the subject,but she had forgotten it. Beronio told her that the guy was short, heavyset,and owned a brown car and used dope. The young couple went back to Santa Maria on Sunday.

On 7/13/69, VPD made contact with Beronio and asked him more about this story. Beronio stated that he was surprised by this and didnt know anything about this. He said she was mistaken in what she told police. He said he did talk to a couple people besides his Family over the 4th of July weekend, but none of them asked for a ride to Santa Maria.

Does something sound off here??? The mother in law has this interesting story, and described this mystery man as short,heavyset,and driving a brown car(very similar to Zodiac's description,but how soon would that info have been out there?Could this guy or his motherinlaw have known that the suspects car was brown,or the driver was heavyset and short?)And how can their stories be so different? He completely disputes his Mother in law. I wrote to beronio's ex-wife,whose mother had given the police this info,and I never heard back from her.

Last edited by morf13 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac Suspects named in police reports   Zodiac Suspects named in police reports Empty

Back to top Go down

Zodiac Suspects named in police reports
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next