Zodiackillersite

DISCUSSION ABOUT THE ZODIAC KILLER - ALWAYS FREE TO JOIN, NO FEES EVER!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Troy Houghton: The Minuteman

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:53 am

This was written by Eddie Baumgardner almost a year after Troy's disappearance (March 14, 1968)

If Bettie thought that DePugh bumped off Troy, why was she still heading the West Coast regional organization of the MM? Why did she put out her own MM newsletter? Doesn't make sense to me.
Moreover, Troy Houghton was the guy who recruited most MM members. The California chapter was far and away the largest in the Minutemen organization. And in Troy's last interview before he disappeared, he was telling Harry Jones that he had a list of people who would be murdered if DePugh was jailed. Does that sound like someone that DePugh would murder for no reason? Does that sound like a potential turncoat?
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: And he was dead within three years   Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Houghton's lawyer, who he claimed sold him up the river, also died weeks after he failed to win Houghton's appeal. He died when his house caught fire at 4am in the morning.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: The Greeting Card connection   Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 am

I want to repost this because I think it's terribly important. Of the 10s of thousands of FBI documents on assassinations, only one concerns a Greeting Card. That card was sent by Troy Houghton. I know people send greeting cards all the time, of course. But this, like Z's greeting cards, was NOT in regards to a birthday or sympathy or wedding, etc. That is unusual behavior.
Here is the greeting card that Houghton sent to Cook, a recruit:

Here is the letter in response to Houghton's greeting card:

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: The Zodiac symbol and Troy Houghton   Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Let me explain my theory regarding Houghton and the Zodiac symbol. The original letter just had a crosshair symbol on it, with no reference to Zodiac. The crosshair, IMO, was simply a MM sign. But Houghton (assuming I'm correct that he was the Zodiac for the sake of this argument) thought better of this. It was too obvious. He needed something to divert attention from the crosshair as a clue to the MM. So in his next letter, which he wrote a few days later, he comes up with the Zodiac as a moniker. Why do I think this? Because there are very few connections between the crosshair and the Zodiac other than the watch and the British Ford automobile. Moreover, there is precious little in Z's writings that suggests any real interest in the Zodiac. The Zodiac watch logo was a great solution for TH because it has a hidden meaning for him: the MINUTEmen. In addition, I believe that the last line of the 408 says +he Minutemen, which, if true, further bolsters my view that the crosshair originally was meant to signify the Minutemen. Here's my solution to the last line of the 408:

Zodiac's first cipher was sent in three parts to three different Bay Area papers. Here are the three parts of the cipher:
part 1: http://www.zodiackiller.com/VTHCipher.html
part 2: http://www.zodiackiller.com/VTHCipher.html
part 3: http://www.zodiackiller.com/ExaminerCipher.html

Zodiac said his identity (not name) would be known once police cracked the cipher. It wasn't. For forty years people have believed that Z lied about this. IMO, he didn't lie.
Notice that the last line of the cipher is not part of the message (it isn't translated).
When translated it reads: EBEORIETEMETHHPITI with the E coming from the last character of the second to last line.

Gibberish, right? That's what everyone has thought. But I believe that what Z did has not been understood. When it is, the last line, IMO, reads: THE MINU+EMEN with 5 extra symbols leftover that are not letters. When I say the last line reads, I mean the last line in the code part of the cipher, not the translation, which remains EBEORIETEMETHHPITI. Thus, Z's identity is, as he said, in the code or cipher itself. But the code had to be cracked first, as he said, to see this. The trick is this:

What you do is take the translated letters -- EBEORIETEMETHHPITI -- and work backwards: that is, find the equivalents in the cipher for the letters. Of course, working backwards like this will give you exactly what the Zodiac orignally wrote on the last line. But it will also give you some other things as well.

Why? Because there are other characters that could have been used to yield the EBEORIETEMETHHPITI translation.

Why? Because some letters have two or more characters associated with them. When this is done, VOILA!, you get an anagram for +HE MINUTEMEN (a plus sign is used for one of the T's) with six characters left over: BRMPII. (see below) All of the six characters are not letters, but rather shapes, e.g., V/+ ^. Thus, they cannot be used in the translation -- a clever way for Z to say that only 12 of the 18 characters have meaning -- the other five are filler to yield the rest of the 17-character line.
Thus,

OTEHTEIEEHET BRMPII (TRANSLATED LINE)
+HEMINUTEMEN +^Q/> (CODE LINE)

The top line (which is the translation) is precisely the same as EBEORIETEMETHHPITI -- just in a different order (because THE MINUTEMEN was anagrammed)
So Z's identity was, IMO, revealed once the cipher was cracked...
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Troy's Signature has been located   Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I just learned that Jessica at the National Archives Records Assoc. for the Missouri Fed. Courts finally found the court records of Houghton's Federal trial; AND she has obtained a sample of Troy's handwriting. She's going to call me tomorrow to work out the details. I think that it's just going to be his signature, which is not ideal. But we do have samples that we believe are Z's cursive writing style. So this is good news.
Back to top Go down
Theforeigner
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:10 pm

great! looking forward to see that handwriting.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:09 pm

I'll be receiving the handwriting later today. Check back in a few hours and I'll have it posted.
Back to top Go down
tahoe27
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 pm

I agree..will be good to see it. Although, I wouldn't rule someone out based soley off handwriting. Zodiac wanted it published. Surely he thought of someone recognizing it. BUT, I do believe personal traits would show in something he wrote.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:16 pm

It's looking like I might get the handwriting tomorrow morning, not tonight. As soon as I get the email, I'll post it.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Houghton's signatures   Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 pm

These look left-handed to me. I just got them, so I haven't had time to look them over. I'll be out of town and away from my computer until tomorrow night. Post away!
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Houghton signature #3   Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:53 pm

This appears to be his handwriting as well:

Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 pm

I have to say, this writing looks nothing close to the questioned cursive writing in the Lass case or Riverside case. But it was a good job researching on your part to get it.
Back to top Go down
AK Wilks
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Like the writer(s) of the Lass sister and Riverside (Hautz) envelopes, he sometimes seperates capitals from the rest of the word. But the writing itself looks nothing like those.
Back to top Go down
tahoe27
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:22 pm

We don't know the the card to Donna's sister was from Zodiac or that Hautz had anything to do with Zodiac.

I just don't think Zodiac would write in his true handwriting and then ask for it to be published. I think if we were to see enough of anyones handwriting in one document, traits would show. With little bits and pieces like this we can't really say one way or another.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:52 pm

I agree Tahoe. There's also the problem that signatures are often highly stylized. Note that it goes to the left. Yet, his other handwriting tilts to the right and left (e.g., 6523 Celia tilts to the right, Vista tilts to the left). Then there's the problem of cursive vs. printing. I really hoped that the handwriting would show something. But I think it's a wash. One interesting thing is that TH seems to do dates 5-11-67, like Z on Hartnell's door. But, heck, tons of people do it that way. I don't know. Also the 2 in 24TH is very different from the 2 in 6523 Celia Vista. So what does it all mean?
Back to top Go down
morf13
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 pm

I know from writing experts, that you cant match a cursive sample to a printed sample
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Enterprise Letter and Haughton Signature   Sun May 02, 2010 12:24 pm

I've finally had some time to compare the signature with some possible Z cursive handwriting. The first thing that popped out at me is this very distinctive curl at the end of Troy's T and the R in Riverside on the Hautz envelope. Check this out:

This is from this envelope

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Sun May 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Another very odd and characteristic similarity is that Troy makes his t's without crossing them. He comes back at the end of the word and crosses it.

Notice that in the Hautz envelope, the writer started Enterprise but then crossed it out. The t was made just as Troy makes it: a loop but there is no cross, as if that would be made at the end of the word coming back.

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Sun May 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Haughton's TH

TH from Bates Letter:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Sun May 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Spartan work Rand, fascinating information you've compiled. Knowing what I know about groups such as these Minutemen, I believe they, much like the Process Church were fronts for intelligence agencies with explicit covert uses. I'll have to research them more, but information has surfaced recently that points to extremist organisations being infiltrated by the FBI and others in order to control them and their followers. The Minutemen certainly would have the military expertise, cell team training, connections and fervour to carry out the Zodiac murders. It would be a simple matter to insert an agent or asset as a leader, or co-opt one through blackmail, then manipulate the members to do whatever was desired. FBI and intelligence COINTELPRO operations did just this during the 60's and 70's to both right and leftist organisations.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: COINTELPRO AND MM   Sun May 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks, Resolute. Here's an article that appeared in 1977 in the Hutchinsen News about Cointelpro infiltration of the Minutemen, esp. Houghton's West Coast region. It is therefore relevant to Troy Houghton's relationship with Robert DePugh at the time of his disappearance.

FBI letter wrecked 'white hate' group
by Jean Christensen
New Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - The Federal Bureau of Investigation with one anonymous letter fouled up the works of the Minutemen in the mid 1960s. The Minutemen are a right-wing, militant anti-Communist organization with national headquarters in Norborne, Mo. Details of the letter-writing plan and its results were contained in a file that was among 52,648 pages of documents
released by the FBI this week from "Cointelpro" - the code name for its domestic counterintelligence program. Cointelpro also directed its activities involving informants, anonymous letter-writing campaigns and spying at other "white hate" groups, New Left groups, the Communist Party, black extremists, Mexican activists and other fringe organizations.
On May 18, 1966, the special agent in charge of the Kansas City office of the FBI requested the Bureau to reproduce copies of a letter to Minutemen members urging recipients to stop sending dues and information to mail drops or the Minutemen's national headquarters. (The Kansas City
FBI office is resposible for western Missouri and all of Kansas.) The Bureau, according to a June 13 memo from the director, who was then J. Edgar Hoover, made 850 copies of the letter, which the Kansas City office was to mail out from the Norbone vicinity "to lend authenticity to the mailing." The letter sent to Minutemen members was dated July 4, 1966, and labeled "IMPORTANT." It read as follows:

"Dear Friend, Recent intelligence analysis reveals numerous members have been identified and interviewed by the opposition due to an extremely serious security leak. Funds intended for our organization have fallen into enemy hands as a result of this leak. "Special notice! No further dues or information are to be submitted to present mail drops or national headquarters. A special courier will advise you of our new communications system. Require the courier to present proper credentials and identify you by code number. This system will tighten security and insure use of funds to destroy communism." The letter was sigmed "For God and Country No. 551" and printed on a special green paper similar to that used by Minutemen.

A memo to W.C. Sullivan, then assistant FBI director in charge of the intelligence division and Cointelpro, from F.J. Baumgardner, a section chief in the division, said that No. 551 was the code number used by Robert B. DePugh, national coordinator of the Minutmen, in all of his correspondence. DePugh, Baumgardner wrote, "directs the organization from its national
headquarters in Norbone,Missouri, as his 'private army.'" Both Sullivan and Baumgardner retired
from the FBI and Sullivan was reportedly killed this fall in a hunting accident in New Hampshire.
Baumgardner wrote that mailing the phony letter "will severly curtail the Minutemen communications system and collections of dues at a time when such communications are most
important to DePugh."

It had the desired effect, causing confusion in the organization, halting payments of dues and causing DePugh to send out an incorrect letter of explanation. "We believe the couterintelligence proposal originally submitted by Los Angeles and effectively augmented by Kansas City is causing significant concern to the 'Minutemen'" an Aug. 17 memo to the two offices from the director said.
The Denver FBI office had obtained a special bulletin issued by DePugh and sent to the national membership of the Minutemen in which he implied that "a former section leader of the
'Minutemen' has attempted to disrupt that organization by issuing a communication urging the membership to not furnish dues or information to present mail drops or national headquarters.." All offices were to be alerted to report any other tangible results of the counterintelligence action. The FBI headquarters requested followup counterintelligence proposals from the Kansas City and Los Angeles offices, including issuing another letter to the Minutemen membership under DePugh's name. The second letter would inform members that the special bulletin, which was actually sent out by DePugh, "is in fact a 'fake,' and to disregard all future communications from the 'Minutemen' national headquarters unless they are written on the green paper which we used in our counterintelligence proposal." A note at the end concluded, "We feel the 'Minutemen' have been confused and their financial set up hurt. We desire to have Los Angeles and Kansas City submit follow-up recommendations which would increase the confusion in the 'Minutemen' organization." Kansas City on Aug. 22 advised the director that DePugh and several of his associates had been arrested and indicted for conspiracy to violate the Federal and National Firearms Acts. It recommended that no additional counterintelligence action be taken because
of the indictments.

On the same day. the Los Angeles office, which seemed a little more imaginative that the Kansas City office, submitted the suggested followup letter to Minutemen members to "further disrupt and curtail the submission of funds to leaders of this organizations." Headed "SPECIAL BULLETIN," Los Angeles wanted the letter to read as follows: "Fake communications have been received by members of our organization. The most recent letter indicates that a former leader of the 'Minutemen' is attempting to syphon off funds intended for National Headquarters and otherwise cast suspicion on the administration of our patriotic organization. You are instructed
to destroy all communications directed to you which are not printed on the green paper being
used for official communications from Headquarters. "Per my previous instructions concerning
the necessity of maintaining a tight security program DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, submit funds or security data to business addresses, post office boxes, of mail drops allegedly furnished by Headquarters. Instruction given you during personal contact by properly identified courier will eliminate any possible future security leaks and misuse of 'Minutemen' funds"
A memo to Kansas City from the director in September said that although an Aug. 25 memo from
Baumgardner to Sullivan had authorized the followup action, it should be delayed until after DePugh's trial for conspiracy to violate the Federal and National Firearms Acts.

However, the director's memo said, Kansas City was to advise the bureau of the status of the trial so that counterintelligence action "may be instituted at the earliest possible date," On Oct. 6, 1967, Kansas City reported that several Minutemen leaders had defected from the organization in the previous several weeks and that' DePugh had expressed dissatisfaction with Minutemen operations and indicated he would take up residence in a "mountain retreat," somewhere near Denver, Colo. "The events of the last few weeks including the defections of Minutemen leaders and and the possible retreat of Robert DePugh to a 'mountain retreat' logically suggest that a hard hitting Comprehensive approach to disruption of this organization would lead to concrete results," Kansas City wrote.

That is the last memo in the "White Hate" file of the Kansas City office, and there is nothing to indicate what happened next. However, 16,846 pages of documents about Cointelpro that have been sought for three years by reporters aftd others under the Freedom of Information Act have not been released, and many of those that were released were heavily censored.
Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   Mon May 03, 2010 5:06 pm

This is from J. Harry Jones, Jr. THE MINUTEMEN (1968). Notice that Houghton returned a woman's cosmetic case and expected sex in return. He was arrested for attempted rape. This is a scenario that I believe might have happened with CJB. He disables and then offers to fix her car. I believe that he might have driven her to a gas station of something like that. Then he expects to get something in return, she refuses, he goes into a rage and murders her. (Just a theory to explain how CJB and her murderer manage to spend hours together before he kills her).
Also notice that Houghton steals cars and tires etc. Z disabled CJB's car and Kathleen Johns's tire (assuming these were Z crimes) and wrote on Hartnell's door. These are things that are very consistent with what we know about TH's pranks and crimes.

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Buttons   Mon May 03, 2010 7:16 pm

"Houghton sported a button on his coat reading 'S.O.B.' -- for 'Sweep Out Brown.'"
So TH wore snarky buttons, while Z insisted people wear his button and spoke of silly buttons like Melvin Eats Bluber.

Back to top Go down
rand
Chief

PostSubject: Does this sound like Z?   Mon May 03, 2010 10:33 pm

There's something about Bettie drawing a grave and tombstone with Clark's name on it that reminds me of the art on the Halloween Card. It's clear to me that she wasn't an innocent bystander. And she was implicated (if not the prime mover of) all kinds of dirty and dangerous pranks when she took over the West Coast Region from Troy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troy Houghton: The Minuteman   

Back to top Go down

Troy Houghton: The Minuteman
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next